forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple issues with SDBG64
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Couple issues with SDBG64 Reply with quote

1) Alt+X key combination does not work in SDBG64. I have to click Exit with the menu using mouse. Was this short cut removed or i have to restart my overloaded bitten up computer ?

32 bit works OK

2) Also 64 bit debugger does not identify the error, just telling about exception and you scratch the head what the problem is. Getting word Exception scares you to hell, you always think that we got unknown internal compiler error like in earlier versions and this is the end of the life

Code:

a=3.5481e26
b=1.60218e-12
c=3.34e-24
d=sqrt(2*a*b/c)
end

or even simpler

a=2.e22
b=2.e-22
c=a/b
end

32 bit works ok

3) Typical Fortran users are super lazy kinds of animals. They always wait somebody else report the problems with the compiler or procrastinate to send any their suggestions for improvement.
They also almost never use modern ways of debug the code. As a results such excellent tools like SDBG/SDBG64 may have no new features for years, or having sometimes even minor or major bugs not fixed for a long time. If i were a FTN95 developer i'd only allow to use the compiler for one month and then allow it to use for free for personal use only for those who made at least 3 suggestions for its improvement or reported 3 bugs. Otherwise i do not see how any smaller company can survive without tight group of devoted fans who care.

This preamble was to say that i'm still kind of surprised but i can not find now how to stop the run and return to the debugger during the execution. The appropriate window existed before for that is missing, or something is wrong with my computer or eyes. Here is the simple code, please try to abort execution in the middle of the run and see what is going on in the debugger

Code:
a=1.222
  do i=1, 1000000000
    a=alog(exp(a))
  enddo
  print*, a
end

4) Horizontal scroll bar is missing. Somehow the text permanently slips to the right. I already learned that to return it back you need to use left arrow but others may spend a lot of time to find that

5) If you try to use (zeroise for example) the array which was not allocated you get crash with confusing error message "Reference through NULL Fortran POINTER" instead of just message that the array was not allocated. Adding to confusion is also the use of CaPitAl LeTTers Smile
Even being the user of this compiler for many decades i really afraid its punishing and too formal and elitist style of error messages. All error messages have to be explanatory and novices-friendly !
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I used ftn95 8.70.0 to compile the second program listed in 2) with command
Code:
ftn95 sample_sdbg64.for /64 /link /debug

. In my environment ALT+x worked and the exception dialog displayed the file name and the line number (which is 3). Version number of both clearwin64.dll and salflibc64.dll is 23.1.18.7 . This corresponds to the behaviour of the 32 bit version.

However, you need to enter the lower case x to exit the debugger. Typing ALT+SHIFT+x does not work (also corresponding to the 32 version).

What I wonder about is why the look and feel of the 32 bit is different to that of the 64 bit debugger: entereing ALT+x to the 32 bit version of the debugger results in a confirmation dialog for exit whereas it exits without a confirmation dialog for the 64 bit version.

Moreover entereing F6 to the debugger displays the information string "Floating point overflow" for the 32 bit version and "Error: Exception: ..." for the 64 bit version.

Regards,
Dietmar
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning 3: I could stop the debugger via ALT+x for both the 64 bit and the 32 bit version of the debugger. But I am not sure: for the 32 bit version ALT+x did not always work at the first time, I needed to press ALT+x twice in most cases. Moreover, I missed the information that the program was running after having pressed ALT+x . For the 32 bit version I could type F6 (to start the executable) and then ALT+c displayed the "Call Stack/Status" window displaying the line "Status: Programm Running." The same happened for the 64 bit version of the debugger except of the information string displayed (which was "Status: Running").

Concerning 4: yes, there is no scrollbar in the 64 bit version of the debugger.

Concerning 5: I did not find the array in your code samples (or did I miss it??)

Regards,
Dietmar
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietmar, Thanks for confirming these issues.

As to the last case 5 i did not supply the code. When i made a small reproducer though i got different error message "Access Violation writing address xxxxxxxx", which is also bad diagnostics, though different from what i wrote in first post. Need to find right reproducer
Code:
real*8, dimension(:), allocatable :: PeakEnergy

A=1.1
DO I=1,11
PeakEnergy(i)=ALOG(EXP(A))
print*,i
ENDDO
end
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with SDBG64 and Alt+X only occurs when using the latest download of the ClearWin+ library (from the sticky post).

The failure has now been fixed and I plan to provide new DLLs before the end of the day.
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed some similar/related issues with SDBG64.

F2 works but F3 does not (related to breakpoints).

Pressing Ctrl-F (for locating a subprogram by name) does not work, but using the corresponding pull-down menu item does. After the desired name has been chosen, pressing the Enter key does not work, the mouse has to be used.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, and mecej4

are your comments on this post related to the 'new beta' v3 (which I've just discovered exists, and only for 32bit I note ) or an earlier version ?

I note that your first comments Dan mention that the 'bugs' noted don't occur for 32 bit version. Maybe that's normal if it's not been updated.

Let me just say here also that I'm surprised that only the 64 bit version has been 'advanced' as I'm pretty sure that, under the inertia of corporate purse strings, that an awful lot of corporate users, (who must be a fair % of the total user base ?) still run 32bit machines and are likely to do so for a while yet !
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "

Last edited by John-Silver on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

John-Silver wrote:
Dan, and mecej4

are your comments on this post related to the 'new beta' v3 (which I've just discovered exists) or an earlier version ?

I think that you are confusing the new beta V3 of SLINK64 with SDBG64.

The bugs that I noted in SDBG64 went away when I installed the latest version of the DLLs.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4, thanks for pointing out my faux pas !

it's not particularly reassuring to see that to correct an 'sdbg' problem, the sdbg specific files (on the sticky post, e.g. sdbgdll.dll) are not updated (dating from dec 2020) but the general dlls ! ... but then I'm not a wizard programmer Surprised)

maybe Paul could create a flowchart of all those files, with appropriate comments to make it clearer what is in which file ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, did you get all 5 of your observations sorted, or just the first one which Paul refers to in his 'fixed post' ?

(may I also congratulate you on your spot-on vocabulary useage:
Quote:
"Getting word Exception scares you to hell"

or
Quote:
"Typical Fortran users are super lazy kinds of animals"

... terrifically appropriate and oh so true ! )
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I had no time to look at the updates since then and do not know if all 5 were fixed.

"Access violations" means that Silverfrost need to synchronize 64bit with 32bits compiler and debugger respect to last few not covered diagnostics. Pity they are not just some rare tricky errors but surprisingly the most important sometimes
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I think users and company have to introduce the competition for the title of best "Compiler Code Validator of the Year" with some small prizes.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good idea Dan.

unfortunately it would be almost like the Spanish 'la liga' every year ... Real Madrid or Barcelona ... mecej4, Ken or ... Dan !!! ... in no particular order note ! lol Wink

maybe we could have a spoof 'opposition' copetition too, like he Razzies are to the Oscars ?

and for the developers, y not a yearly award for 'best new feature' ? ... that would be good too
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
How about other mentioned issues besides Alt+X mentioned above ?

Major is - was SDBG/SDBG64 default behavior changed recently? Or this is a bug?
How to stop in debugger this for example program during its execution to its current variables ?
Code:
a=1.1111
Do i=1,1234567890
a=log(exp(a))
enddo
print*,a
pause
end
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Alt+X should work now. If not then please let me know.

I tried your latest sample and I can't see any problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: