forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silver Frost Fortran

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stfark1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Silver Frost Fortran Reply with quote

Is there a free version that runs on a Mac? Have a grand daughter who is going to school and would like to use silverfrost fortan on the Mac, please let me know, Sid Kraft
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverfrost Fortran utilities such a FTN95 and Plato are only available for a Windows environment. So you would need to find out how to set up a Windows environment on the Mac. Search for "Running Windows on a Mac".
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the lack of Silverfrost FTN95 one of the most compelling reasons not to buy a Mac?
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, ... except when it's raining, after all FTN5 is born 'n' bred in Manchester ..... oops, sorry the City of Salford ! Wink

(* in fact, for all mis-guided southerners, Manchester is far from the wettest place in England ... from personal experience, Bristol for one knocks it over the head on that one !)
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently spent some time near Bristol and I had the impression it was wetter than Manchester.

We would quite like some rain now, it hasn't rained in weeks.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

It's not wetter on average in Bristol than it is in Manchester, but if you were in Bristol and my wife, the rainmaker, just happened to be within 50 miles, then I can understand why you had that experience. We have been married for more than 50 years, and every time we have been on holiday together no matter where in the world, we have unseasonal torrential rain. She has friends near Bristol, which is why I mention it, but knows no-one in Lancashire - fortunately, probably. I'm expecting a wet summer at home if lockdown continues.

Eddie
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the Forest of Dean for three weeks and it hardly seemed to stop raining!
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a punishment. What on earth did you do to deserve that?

My recollection of the place is that Neanderthals would descend from the Forest of Dean to plague Ross on Wye, especially crashing the 'Top Spot' ballroom where there was an occasional disco. We could usually escape on our Lambrettas. But I don't recollect rain. After all, it was the 60s, and if you were there, you can't expect to recollect much, if anything.

E
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many mirrors Eddie ? :O)
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and how many headlamps? And do they work? Bullet-hole stickers on the fly screen, 'Mary Poppins is a Junkie' transfers, Tiger tails dangling off the seat rest / spare wheel bracket, RAF Roundels on the parka. Petrol with a shot of 2-stroke oil @ 3/- a gallon (15p).

And before I forget, Fortran 66, punched cards and tape, and British designed computers with 48 bit single precision REALs ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: