forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visual Studio .NET 2002 does not recognize the .SLN format in Salford's 23 sample Solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetedesco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Visual Studio .NET 2002 does not recognize the .SLN format i Reply with quote

I am unable to load the Solution .SLN files which Salford provides as samples onto my version of Visual Studio. I've got the 2002 version of VS, which produces a solution file with Format 7. The FTN95 .NET/Visual Clearwin help section lists 23 sample Solutions as tutorials. These were all constructed by Salford with the later (2003?) version of VS, which generates a .SLN in Format 8, according to the .SLN file's first line. I have only been able to reconstruct one of these tutorial solutions (the one that squares a number) to build and run using my earlier version of VS. Could someone possibly provide these Solution directories in the earlier Format 7 as well as the current Format 8? Thanks.

Joe
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Visual Studio .NET 2002 does not recognize the .SLN format i Reply with quote

Joe

I do not have the Format 7 files to hand. However...

you could try adding the given projects to a blank solution. To get it to run, you may also need to delete and restore the references.

In almost all the solutions there is a Fortran executable project that depends upon a C# or Visual Basic DLL project for the resources.

Regards

Paul
joetedesco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Visual Studio .NET 2002 does not recognize the .SLN format i Reply with quote

Thank you, Paul.
Over the holidays, I have in fact been doing what you suggest here. I have been able to reconstruct some of these examples starting with a blank solution.
There are 2 points for others who want to take this route. First, pay attention to the namespace used in the .cs file and make sure that your project .dll built from it ends up with the same name as that of the namespace. Otherwise, the total Solution will link but not run. For example in Solution 7, the namespace is Resources6, and you should replace the default output-file name "WindowsApplication1" (see Properties) with this name, to give Resources6.dll.
Second, after creating the new blank solution with 2 projects, suitably named, use Windows (not VS .NET) to copy all the needed source and resource files from the original directories into the appropriate new subdirectories (usually one for the VC FTN95 app and one for the C# class library "windows app"). The problem to avoid here is that, as you construct each project, if you follow the "Add item" path in the VS.NET environment, the files will be sometimes be added by reference to the path of the original file from the original Solution rather than by creating a new copy of that file for the new Solution. So any changes you make to that source code will impact on the old as well as the new Solution; a very bad thing.
Joe

Joe
Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Visual Studio .NET 2002 does not recognize the .SLN format i Reply with quote

Apologies I did not see this before with the holidays on us I have not been looking at the forums. There is sample code available that could have saved you any trouble. It is available for VS 2002 from the following page:

http://www.salfordsoftware.co.uk/software/downloads/compilers.html

The link at the very bottom of the page points to a zip file containing the example code.
joetedesco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Visual Studio .NET 2002 does not recognize the .SLN format i Reply with quote

No problemo, Andrew. I appreciate getting the link. These .SLN files now open without a problem. I will pay closer attention in future to the resources available for downloads.
Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: