forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Structured programming newbie! could someone please advise?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technophobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Structured programming newbie! could someone please advise? Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I shocked some of you last week when revealing that I had been writing my fortran programs (after being advised to do so by my superviser!) in an unstructured way - one long list of instructions. I'd like to thank those that offered advice - advice which I've followed and have drastically improved my code.

I completely understand why structured code is much easier to debug and understand than the unstructured form I was using. I have recently been swotting up on sub-program units etc and have been re-writing my programs using lots of modules, subroutines and functions as some of you kindly advised.

I have a couple of brief questions - I was hoping that one of the experts could provide some advice.

1. I understand that modules are a way to provide global access to program variables. Does this mean then that I should simply declare ALL of my variables in a module so that each procedure can access them without me specifying long lists of arguments?

2. My program performs a number of numerical experiments. These experiments often require different sized arrays to be used. The program cycles through each experiment, running each one until completion then moves on to the next one. At the moment I am using allocatable arrays to facilitate this. The program reads in the correct array sizes - allocates & uses the arrays and then de-allocates them prior to starting the next experiment. I wonder if there is perhaps a more efficient way to do this?

I would really appreciate some advice on these matters. My code is working well at the moment but I'm always eager to learn ways to improve it. I now have two versions, a nice structured one for me and an unstructured one for my boss!

Many thanks,
B
weaverwb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A couple notes about subroutines may help sharpen your view of them.

In general, you should only make global those variables that need to be. One major advantage of subroutines is that all the local variables stay local. In the program method preferred by your boss, once you use a variable name, you have to be responsible for it for the entirety of your program. This is much easier to do in a smaller program unit like a subroutine.

Basically, if you make all your variables global, you're a long way towards making the program like your boss seems to like them.

Secondly, it is often useful to SAVE the variables in your subroutine; that is, they will still have the values you left them with when you return. This can have many uses, for example, knowing if this is the first time through the subroutine.

One question to consider on the issue of allocating and de-allocating arrays. Are you so pressed for memory that you care?
DrTip

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Technophobe

on the whole:

local variable good
global variable bad

before the howls start I use global variables when appropriate

appropriate means they should be truly global

ie have relevance for the whole program.

with regard to allocating/deallocating I presume that you have found that you can pass arrays as parameters to subroutine eg

!-------------------------------------------------!

program testapp
implicit none
real vector1(3),vector2(3)
integer i

vector1 = 1.0

call vectorsub(vector1,vector2)

do i=1,3
write(*,*) vector1(i),vector2(i)
end do

end program

!--------------------------------------------------------!

subroutine vectorsub(vector1,vector2)
implicit none
real vector1(3),vector2(3)
vector2 = vector1 +1.0

end subroutine

!--------------------------------------------------------------!

paremeterized subroutines is one of the big benefits of subroutines since you can abstract common tasks with different parameters thus reducing the amount of code you need to type!

btw

implicit none

mean you have defined all your variables and the compiler will fall over if you have mistyped something
good practice !

anyway keep the questions coming

Carl
Keith Waters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand that modules are a way to provide global access to program variables.

I too have heard people say this, or words to that effect, about modules. Personally, I think that is the wrong way of looking at them. Common blocks are a way to provide global access to variables. Modules, on the other hand, are a way of hiding entities, not just variables, from the rest of the program.

Modules can contain data and procedures, of course. As an example, consider implementing a data structure and procedures for accessing and manipulating that data structure. A module allows the whole implementation to be bundled together and to hide (make PRIVATE) all the esoteric details of the implementation that are not needed by a user of the data structure resulting in a cleaner and more secure overall implementation.

Keith
technophobe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Modules, subroutines & other randomness Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
First let me thank you all for your advice - I'm taking it on board and trying to improve my programming skills. I've been working through some of sections of a very good Fortran textbook but it's always good to get advice from people who actually use Fortran themselves.

I have made a module at the start of my program that contains all the global variables and another module that contains the procedures. In the past I always added the procedures at the bottom of the code, after the main program unit. I have read that putting subroutines into modules means that the interface between the subroutines and the calling program become explicit - and that the compiler will let me know if I mess up when calling the subroutine.

I was wondering if I actually needed to include the modules at the top of the code. I realise that this seems like a very trivial point but with the subroutines, declaration statements etc at the top of the code the main program is right at the bottom I have to continually scroll upwards and downwards between the two distant parts of the code while I'm checking for errors etc. My code isn't that big but I imagine that for very large codes this must be a real pain.

I was also wondering about the global/local variable concept.
I realise from your comments that global variables and local variables have distinct uses, local variables should be used wherever possible - I have taken this advice on board in my work. I was wondering though whether there are any performance issues related to the use of global/local variables? I understand that a variable local to a subroutine is invisible outside that subroutine but does this offer a saving in memory or performance over making the local variable a global one? I'm wondering if declaring all of the variables globally requires more computer memory or causes performance issues?

Many thanks,
Bren
Keith Waters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was wondering if I actually needed to include the modules at the top of the code

It certainly is not a trivial point. What I do is put each module in its own separate source code file. For example, if you have a module named ‘MyStack’ put it in a file named ‘MyStack.f90’. Compile it separately with a command such as,

FTN95 /IMPLICIT_NONE /CHECKMATE /ERRORLOG MYSTACK.F90

This will produce two files, MyStack.obj and MyStack.mod. Then when you compile your main program, link the mystack.obj into the program.

I don’t know if you are using the command line (as I do) or the Plato environment. You may find it a bit of hassle to set up separate compilation initially but believe me, I cannot imagine handling a project of any complexity without using it.

As for your thoughts regarding performance issues related to the use of global/local variables, I would say don’t worry about that. Concentrate instead on structuring the program so it is easily understood and can be maintained.
technophobe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Code structure Reply with quote

Thanks Keith,

I'm using the Plato environment on a windows XP system. I'm not very familiar with the command prompt aspect of XP but will soon be using Sabayon Linux for most of my work; I will get my head around the linux command prompts when the time comes.

I really appreciate your advice. To be honest I hadn't considered making my subroutines a seperate entity from the main program. That would make my life a lot easier and would make the code much easier to read. I'll have a look through the plato help files and try to work out how to do that later this evening.

Cheers,
Bren
DrTip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just though I would add my support to both points

have multiple files for multiple subroutines this means you can if have subroutines in lots of different projects if appropriate without doing unnessary cut and paste.

also I think the performance comments is really important occassionally you see bits of code that have been "optimised" that are totally unreadable and total time saving is probably a microsecond or something of that order - and might actually make the code run slower since the optimisation probably wasn't banchmarked properly in the first place someone just though this will be quicker without bothering to check.

so here is my check list before optimising code

1. do you really care about the run time being this long?

2. do you think that you can make a significant difference which will now be acceptable? 60 minute down to 40 minutes is a big time saving but you still have to go away and come back!

3. Analyse the code, what is the slowest part? Can you significantly optimise this bit? shaving a 5s off a data read is not going to help with 40 minute iterative procedure!

4. having done 1 to 3 are you still sure its worth changing the code?

5. if so make a back up of working, perfectly fine, slow code

6. try and oprimise the slow bit of code.

7. do some tests , does it still work ? is it faster?

8. make mental note was that code change worth the effort for x minutes run time write the answer in new optimised code as a comment and also a similar comment in the original code.

sometimes the answer to question 8 is yes definitely, I have seen commercial Fortran programs run times decrease from 60 minutes dwon to 1 minute from release n to relase n+1, however most of the time the answer is no it wasn't especially as in 3 years time with a new faster computer your huge x minute imporovement has become a not so impressive x/2 improvement etc.

anyway as you have probably guessed I like readable code!

Carl
weaverwb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You seemed worried a lot about memory and speed. Those are the kind of questions more common in the 1960s or associated with big crunching programs (like a couple I have that take days to run). Is this an issue with your boss or are you writing programs w/ realtime constraints or are your programs taking a long time compared to the time people have to wait for the output or are you running out of memory? If not, then forget these kinds of issues and focus on understandable code.

I would like to mention one issue in which I am in the minority. I never use implicit none. This leads to long lists of declarations, obfuscating the important ones. I don't have any trouble in remembering that ijklmn are first letters for integers and everything else is real. Not the hardest part of programming. Long lines of declarations start to look like Cobol programming and the code starts to exceed the one page criterion.

Finally, it may not be too early to note that one can go overboard in making lots of functions and subroutines. I've seen programmers turn a ten line program into three highly interactive routines each calling the others. Easy to understand code was turned into a morass that required lots of flipping back and forth to decipher. Another problem is when you've constructed so many functions and subroutines that you can't remember what you've got, you find yourself rewriting them.

Comments: while it is silly to write comments that say things that just paraphrase the code (e.g., now we add a to b), any time you think you may have some future issue about some section/line of code, you will; so, write a useful comment. Write it not like you're writing as the clever person who just figured out how to do it but as though you're writing for someone to whom the code is new...that is how you'll feel about it when you try to read it a few weeks from now.

My experience over 40 years of programming is that very little code is reused. Even the easiest subroutine is much less general than you think. If you start generalizing code to be more general than you need you're probably wasting your time and you're probably making it harder to understand.

and, by now, you know that making it easy to understand is the most important goal after getting it right.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that anyone who has taught Fortran to beginners would strongly advise the use of IMPLICIT NONE, at least during development.

You can follow the rules and remove the declarations later if you prefer.
weaverwb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that Paul's guess is almost right. I know I have not taught it and I know of others who do not as well but, again, I'm sure that we're in a small minority. It also seems true that many beginners do make the implicit typing error which, by dint of the fact that some compilers can make it difficult to track down, serves as a pretty good lesson. My belief is that most spend less time learning this lesson than typing every darn temporary variable.

It is not worth taking up much more of the forum's space on this issue. I think the more important point is that the programming craft should permit its craftspersons to program in styles which best suit their needs and capabilities. Style 'rules' have been around forever and many are important suggestions. But you must consider how they fit you first. Also, how they fit the problem. The most common failing in programming is a failure to select the right language for the problem and the right style. On major projects, I have found that choosing the right style in both design and implementation is essential; multi-million dollar programs so difficult that only one style would be successful. And there are famous projects of the same size that have failed for reason of choosing the current programming fad as opposed to carefully considering the problem at hand. Even for small projects, a few minutes of reflection on what style would be most appropriate will probably save many times that many minutes in the future.

(a funny example of this was a major project I was on recently in which the customer demanded that extremely long, self-descriptive variable names be used. So long, in fact, that if one used standard structured programming indentation, arithmetic code usually took many continuation lines making it -gasp!- pretty unreadable. I solved the problem by simply inverting the indentation order so that inside logic, which usually where the arithmetic occurs, had the full line. Much more readable.)

The first style book in my life was Kernighan & Plauger, The Elements of Programming Style, 1974, which was modelled after Strunk and White's Elements of Style. I see that a second edition is still available. A good thing about that book is that it is focussed on Fortran. This is one of the seminal books on programming style, doing much to introduce structured programming. In fact, considering there are an infinite number of style questions that can fill up this forum, I strongly suggest you invest in a copy. Glancing through it now, I see how much it influenced me (and how strong an effect it still has today on modern language rules, fads, and styles) and, through experience, how some of their suggestions I put aside.

Unfortunately, much of what they considered style is now carved in stone in many programming languages. Unfortunately, this behavior is starting to creep into the Fortran standards as well. I think this behavior is a symptom of folks whose major concern is the language, rather than the solving of problems with the tool of programming.
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know, I'm a member of weaverwb's minority, I never use "implicit none" either, for exactly the same reason's he quotes. Although I have read on many occasions to the contrary. I just stick to the default integer and real names (as that's how I was taught) and have never experienced any difficulty.
Keith Waters

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Weaverwb and JohnHorspool

I’m curious to know if either/both of you have done mainly Fortran programming with very little work in other languages. Please don’t misunderstand my motive for asking this. I’m not trying to imply anything derogatory. I’m just curious to know.

I’m one of the fans of IMPLICIT NONE, but I’m wondering if I picked up my liking for it from using other languages.

Keith
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

Yes you are spot on. I've used Fortran for 30+ years. I last used another language (Basic) in 1980.

Regards,
John
technophobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Declaration statements Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I've noticed that a couple of posts have talked about declaration statements as if they're a bad thing. I always use the IMPLICIT NONE command and tend to write a long list of variable declaration statements (usually with a comment beside them to indicate what the variable is/what it's used for). I find that this helps me understand my code when I look at it months later.

From some of the posts in this topic some of us prefer not to have lists of declaration statements but I'm unsure why this would be the case. Why are lengthy declaration statements a nuisance?

One more thing I'd like to ask about programming style: I have been told by a colleague that any piece of code longer than about a page should be made into a subroutine. I'm not sure whether this is some sort of rule of thumb concerning programming style or whether this offers some technical advantage. I have been experimenting with sub-programming units recently and have decided that the best way to write my code is to break it up into logical sections. The main program performs only a few calculations and calls the subroutines which do the useful stuff. The subroutines themselves differ in size from about 50-300 lines. The larger subroutines are required to perform rather complicated calculations and I see no advantage in breaking them up into separate subroutines. My colleague has many years of programming experience behind him and I was wondering whether his advice is merely a guideline or whether short subroutines offer some advantage in efficiency?

Regards,
Bren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: