forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*** Unable to create executable file: testprog.EXE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: *** Unable to create executable file: testprog.EXE Reply with quote

Hi,

I wrote a program, testprog.f90, contents:

PROGRAM testprog
IMPLICIT NONE
END PROGRAM testprog

and trying to compile by: 'ftn95 testprog.f90 /link'

I get the following error message:
[FTN95/Win32 Ver. 5.01.0 Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd 1993-2006]
NO ERRORS [<TESTPROG> FTN95/Win32 Ver.5.0.1.0]
Creating executable: testprog.EXE
*** Unable to create executable file: testprog.EXE ***
*** Compilation abandoned

What's going on, most simplest program there is, tried reboot, but doesn't work, any ideas?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This code runs OK for me.
The only possible reason for failure that I can think of is that you do not have write access to the relevant folder.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Unable to create the .EXE Reply with quote

I get this all the time, for various completely valid reasons.

Firstly, as Paul says, if you can't write to the folder / subdirectory where you want to when creating the .EXE, then this message comes up. Common reasons are because it is on a CD (!) or because you don't have write permission there ... something that happens increasingly with computers that are "managed" by an IT department.

Secondly, you can't overwrite a previous version of the EXE. Again, there are several reasons for this, including that the previous version is set to read-only, but more commonly, because it is actually in use. During a phase of writing and testing (particularly with ClearWin), it is possible for a window to be created and left running and you can't see it. Then you don't seem to be able to create a new .EXE with the same name. Simply not closing the running version has the same effect. (This is my usual problem).

I discovered last year that when attempting to write a datafile you need to have write permission in the target folder as well as to select that folder with the Windows dialog. Hence, after an OPEN statement, you need an INQUIRE (or the combination in the OPEN) to check if it was successful - just going ahead with writing causes a lock up. In my case, this was something created by my IT department ... I'm used to full access to everything about my PC.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: