forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DBos on XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mega

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: DBos on XP Reply with quote

Hello, I'm really need help. I have an old program that prevoiusly run on dos with dbos 2.5. When I upgrade to dbos4.2 the program can run with win98 on dos environment. The problem when I upgrade to winxp, dbos cannot run on it. The program has no update to be used on XP since there is no more news. I know it can run when I make dual boot to my computer; win98 & winxp. I try to use VPC and VDM. It cannot work. Is there any method to run dbos on xp or other software that can use to simulate the dbos so I can run that program in xp. The program is licensed and protected so it cannot diassemble.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you cannot run DBOS under Windows NT/2000/XP etc.
[To be more accurate, I do not know of a way and we do not support DBOS under Win32, nor indeed any use of DBOS]
DBOS is a Win32 extension for a Win16 operating system.
You must use Windows 98 or an equivalent (Win16) OS.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that "mega" is going even further back to DBOS only under DOS. My suggestion is to keep a computer solely for DOS (I've only just abandoned mine!) and if desk space is congested, use a keyboard/mouse/monitor switch so that both this and the current Windows computer use just one set of peripherals (keyboard/mouse/monitor). Some modern PCs won't run DOS well, so you may be looking for a "scrapyard" PC. These things are often simply given away - for example through the local branch of freecycle (see www.freecycle.org). A 486 or early Pentium will work just fine.

The same advice goes for running his program under Win98, where he has the chance of using something slightly more modern.

Is the vendor of the original program no longer in business? Perhaps an upgraded version will have many more facilities than his original.

Eddie
mega

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your respond..
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative is to use Virtual PC or something similar. FTN77 users have reported that DBOS can be run under Virtual PC. Virtual PC is free and available from Microsoft at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: