forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Version 5.0 - major issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Version 5.0 - major issue Reply with quote

Trying to open any existing FTN95 project file in Plato generates a MS Visual C++ runtime library error, as below.

Buffer overrun detected!

Program: C:\apps\salford software\ftn95\plato3.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try deleting (or renaming) the project .ini file.
sparge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't work Crying or Very sad

I've now established the same thing happens with a newly-created project. Also, the dependencies are handled incorrectly. I've filed a bug report.

If I uninstall, do I uninstall back to 4.91 or back to nothing there at all?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off hand I don't know what you will go back to.

If you still have access to an earlier Plato, how about installing it somewhere else and copying it across. Everything else (other than Plato) should be OK. Assuming that others have the same problem with the new Plato, I will release a patch very soon. At the moment I cannot reproduce the problem so I am assuming that it is just the build for the release that has gone wrong.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

To speed things up, if you wish you could send me a sample project with the kind of dependencies that cause the failure. I can then test to see if there is a new bug in the Plato dependency checking process.
sparge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Successful workaround pro temp Reply with quote

Paul,

I've renamed the v5.0 Plato and copied across my previous version, and it is working OK so far - no buffer overruns, and dependencies handled OK.

I've sent a simple project illustrating the mishandled dependencies.

Andy
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out to be a significant regression with the effect that the latest release of Plato cannot be used for projects.

Please use an older version of Plato for the next few days until we can upload a patch or a new release.
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Hi. Bad news about the regression.

I upgraded on my home PC (also previously at v4.91) to v5.0 as well, and the buffer overrun problem did not manifest. That triggered me to do some more investigation on my work PC, to try and provide more information to help you reproduce the problem - I don't want to have to continue to use an old version of Plato when you fix the regression!

Initially, I couldn't reproduce the problem either Embarassed , but now I can Cool , and the process of figuring out what had changed gave me the necessary clue to the villain of the piece: the Plato ini file. After the problem became apparent, the way I went about using the previous version of Plato was to rename the v5.0 version, and use the previous version, un-renamed. The result is that if the new, renamed, version is used, it has no ini file to refer to, first time, and has to generate a very rudimentary version afresh upon first use - and under these circumstances the problem does not occur. Once I twigged this Idea , I renamed the old version instead and "un-renamed" the v5.0 version, and was able to reproduce the problem.

At this point, I used Dependency Walker to log the process up to the point where the buffer overrun message is posted.

I will email you a copy of my plato3.ini file and the dependency walker log file. The first ought to allow you to reproduce the problem; the second ought to help you diagnose it if not.

Good luck!

Andy
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

Thanks for the offer but I have already identified and fixed the regression.

Regards

Paul
sparge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, Paul - I thought the dependency-handling problem was the regression, and the buffer overrun thing was something else unrelated.
MERO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I just updated to V 5.0
I get the same problem as described by by Sparge using Plato.

Any help ?

Klaus
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 5.01 is about to be uploaded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: