forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing routine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dekindee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

I have been using FTN77 for the last four years with no trouble until I
had to change my hard disk recently. My program runs satisfactorily until
I try to print when I encounter error 29 Call to missing routine
DRAW_CHARACTERS@ at 0x00402934. Compiling and linking is carried out
in DOS and libraries salflibc.lib and salflibc.dll are used. Before
changing the drive, all my relevant subroutines and these libraries were backed
up on CD and then reloaded. Can anyone help?

Derek Hickson
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Derek

One possibility is that the copy of salflibc.dll that you backed up was not the one that was being accessed when you last ran the program successfully.

You can get a current copy of salflibc.dll (which will probably work OK) by downloading the latest personal edition of FTN95.

Regards

Paul
dekindee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

[small]Paul Laidler wrote:[/small]
One possibility is that the copy of salflibc.dll that you backed up was not the one that was being accessed when you last ran the program successfully.

You can get a current copy of salflibc.dll (which will probably work OK) by downloading the latest personal edition of FTN95.

Thanks for your help but I have downloaded and still get the same error. Any other ideas or do you wish for more information?

Derek
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Another possibility is that the PATH environment variable needs to include the Salford compiler folder. Initially you could try copying salflibc.dll to the folder that contains the executable. You also try recompiling the executable if you have not already done so.

Paul
dekindee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Another possibility is that the PATH environment variable needs to include the Salford compiler folder. Initially you could try copying salflibc.dll to the folder that contains the executable. You also try recompiling the executable if you have not already done so.

Paul

Your first suggestion seemed to be the solution, insofar as this error has only occurred since I had a new hard drive, to which not everything could be transferred, so PATH was not defined. Please excuse my ignorance but the only way I know to do this is to add to AUTOEXEC.NT the command:- 'PATH c:win32appsalford'. I also add the folder that contains the executable. The error occurs in linking so I've found. Am I right in thinking that SLINK looks at salflibc.lib? Both this library and salflibc.dll are in win32app and the executable's folder. The error says the missing routine is DRAW_CHARACTERS# instead of with a '@'. I can't find any call to DRAW_CHARACTERS# anywhere. I guess this is not significant. I'm sorry to be such a nuisance but this problem is worrying.

Derek
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Derek

The process for changing the PATH environment variable depends on the operating system you have.

Under Windows XP you get the Control Panel from the Start button, select System, then the Advanced tab and finally the Environment variables button. Edit the PATH in the lower frame.

Paul
dekindee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

The process for changing the PATH environment variable depends on the operating system you have.

Under Windows XP you get the Control Panel from the Start button, select System, then the Advanced tab and finally the Environment variables button. Edit the PATH in the lower frame.

Paul

I've got Windows XP professional so I've done what you suggest. In fact the path was already in the upper frame but I've added it to the lower one. The batch file in the executable's folder calls win32appsalford so it should not have been necessary, should it? The operating system on the previous hard disk was XP Home. Changing this could not have made any difference, could it? Is a listing of DRAW_CHARACTERS@ available!!?? or can you think of anything else? Thanks for your help so far.

Derek
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Derek

DRAW_CHARACTERS@ is defined as

C_EXTERNAL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ '__win_draw_text_l' (INSTRING,VAL, VAL,VAL)

in WINDOWS.INS or CLEARWIN.INS.

I assume you have INCLUDEd one or other of these headers in your program.
You could check to see if the definition is present or add it directly to your code.

I do not think that I can help you further with the PATH question.
Is there someone locally who can help you with this?

Paul
dekindee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

DRAW_CHARACTERS@ is defined as

C_EXTERNAL DRAW_CHARACTERS@ '__win_draw_text_l' (INSTRING,VAL, VAL,VAL)

in WINDOWS.INS or CLEARWIN.INS.

I assume you have INCLUDEd one or other of these headers in your program.
You could check to see if the definition is present or add it directly to your code.

I do not think that I can help you further with the PATH question.
Is there someone locally who can help you with this?

Paul

Paul

Before we go any further I aught to explain that the program we are talking about was first developed with M S Fortran using escape sequences which were not in later versions of Windows. So I sought help from Salford and David Ellison created everything from all the routines involved with little or no input from me. I am therefore having to find out now what was done. To simplify explanations, the folder which contains the executable program, all routines and the BUILD batch files is called BOWMAN.

I have defined DRAW_CHARACTERS@ in CLEARWIN.INS which is in WIN32APP but I have also found it defined in a file BOWWIN.INS which is in BOWMAN. I have INCLUDEd CLEARWIN.INS in the program FORTRAN file but note that BOWWIN is also there. As a result there is no error concerning a missing routine but I get '***No main, WinMain or LibMain function'. What does this mean?

I think the PATH question is up to me now.

Thanks again for your help.

Derek
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Derek

I think that the quickest way forward is for you to zip up your project and to email it to silverfrost for forwarding to me.

In the meantime I will see if I can find a way to send a message to David Ellison, to ask him to contact you.

Regards

Paul
dekindee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

I think that the quickest way forward is for you to zip up your project and to email it to silverfrost for forwarding to me.

In the meantime I will see if I can find a way to send a message to David Ellison, to ask him to contact you.

Regards

Paul

My first source of help was David Ellison at Salford by email but it didn't reach him of course. If it is possible to contact him this might be the simplest next step and involve less work for you.

Many thanks

Derek
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Derek

I have discussed this with David and he thinks that there is little that can be added to our correspondance.

You should ensure that you are using later versions of salflibc.dll, windows.ins and clearwin.ins.
The original versions do not have draw_character@.

Salflibc.dll should go in the compiler folder and this folder must be on the PATH.

The latest versions of windows.ins and clearwin.ins can be copied from the current FTN95 download.
These must be placed in the INCLUDE sub-folder of the Salford compiler folder.

If you cannot get this to work perhaps you could get some local help to implement these steps.

Regards

Paul
dekindee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Paul

It's a long time since we discussed this problem and I've tried everything you suggest. My program runs but I cannot get a printout. Does this offer of yours to look at my files still stand? I can send the folder containing the source and executable files together with the libraries (7.5Mb zipped), and the folder containg the compiler and linker (2.3Mb zipped). I cannot find a way to let you see the environment variables other than by typing out. If you are going to spend some time on this I should expect there to be some payment. Please let me know if you are prepared to do this.

Best wishes

Derek
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Derek

If you want to send the files to Silverfrost for forwarding to me, I will aim to investigate and then give you some idea of the cost. I will try to send you my email address via a forum message so that you can send the files direct.
dekindee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Missing routine Reply with quote

Paul

I have tried to reply to your emails of 20 September but it has been returned as your address failed. Have you changed your address?

Best wishes

Derek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: