forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Compilation completed" message not appearing under some circumstances

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zahid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: "Compilation completed" message not appearing unde Reply with quote

1. I was compiling a program using the latest ftn95 v. 4.9 and the Plato which is bundled with it and found that after some warning messages the final message "Compilation completed" did not appear. I assumed that somehow the compilation had got into a loop, but in fact it had created a perfectly good .obj file which went to execute all right. It took me quite sometime to discover that the compilation was actually being completed.

I have reduced my source code to the following few lines:

program test
x = 1
a= g(x)
write(*,*) a
stop
end
real function g(x)
g = 5
return
end

This produces only the warning that "The argument X has not been used" and no compilation completed message appears. If you change g=5 to g=x then there is of course no warning and I get the compilation completed message.

2. On a general point, Build produces the message:

Creating executable: ...

as its final message. This wording gives the impression to the beginner that an executable is in the process of being created, so they wait for a message confirming that it has been created. Perhaps a confirmatory message could be added, or have only a confirmatory message saying "executable created: ..."

Zahid Aziz
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: "Compilation completed" message not appearing unde Reply with quote

Zahid

Thanks for your comments.
I will check these out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: