forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparse information from compiler & linker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Sparse information from compiler & linker Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just upgraded to the most recent version of FTN95 (4.9.0 I think) and noticed that both compiler and linker still give very little information on the precise location of a problem they spotted.
For example, when using the "%" symbol with yet undeclared derived types, the compiler tells me the line, but not the particular variable that caused the problem. In lines with several derived types, this means I have to check each one separately, when the compiler could have easily given me that additional information. If it didn't have that information it wouldn't have spotted the error in the first place, right ?
Or the linker tells me about missing symbols, but doesn't give the line or even the file/module where the symbol is unknown. In my case it just always names the main object file as location. Same situation here, but sometimes even more work to search for the problem.

I'd like to ask whether in future versions of the FTN95 compiler there is going to be more information on the location of errors.

Thanks,
Rainer
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Sparse information from compiler & linker Reply with quote

Rainer

The short answer to your question is no, there is unlikely to be significant improvement in these areas in the short to medium term.

For missing symbols, you could use "Find in files".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: