forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow speed of 64bit debug vs 32bit debug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StamK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Slow speed of 64bit debug vs 32bit debug Reply with quote

Since the early days of 64bit up to now, we have noticed that debugging is much slower in 64bit than in 32bit. This is not only when starting up but also when stepping inside the program. Have other users noticed that? For developers who use the debugger all the time, this is a big issue and it is forcing the actual development to be done in 32bit and 64bit to be used only to test compatibility.
It would be good for this issue to be investigated and some kind of solution to be found.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StamK

Are you running SDBG64 directly or are you using the integrated access from Plato?
StamK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDBG64 directly
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I had more complaints/improvement suggestions about SDBG than all people here combined but never complained about slowness to the extent that i thought to go back to 32bit. What version and what processor+memory do you have?

Have you used new feature Trace allowing to trace steps back? This could be slowing debugging according to Robert but i have not noticed that too.

Last week i had one case in last years of slowness when SDBG was loading slow but my computer was overloaded of its all cores plus all threads with other running codes by 100%.

Also typically i do not run the code under SDBG64 for a long time to catch the error, this could be why i have not noticed potential slowness if it really slows things down to the extent that it becomes unbearable. I do not use 32bit, because the code just can not scale down to 32bits anymore

As a potential reason for slowness could also be special cases where FTN95 really lags in performance (see Polyhedron tests)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 9.0 of FTN95 includes significant improvements in runtime performance. The current published results for the Polyhedron benchmarks are therefore out of date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: