forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LPT1: - is it there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: LPT1: - is it there? Reply with quote

I've got a program that writes direct to LPT1: - basically, the code contains an OPEN(99,'LPT1:') followed by lots of formatted writes. The point of this is to send raw commands of the form "Pen Up", "Pen Down", "Move to these coords" etc to a connected pen plotter.

My new laptop doesn't have a parallel port, and invoking this sequence of commands causes the program to become unresponsive (old laptop with LPT1: queues all the commands if the port isn't actually connected to the plotter).

Is there an easy way to tell if the computer in question has an LPT1: port*, and so I could just skip the plotter stuff? (I do have code for generating the same plots using a standard installed Windows printer, so that the pen-plotter code is of largely historical interest, and one solution is simply to delete it).

I've noticed that floppy drives and COM ports also seem to be disappearing from PCs.

Eddie

*Apart, that is, from asking the user to look round the back!

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: LPT1: - is it there? Reply with quote

Eddie

You could try using the keyword arguments IOSTAT=var and STATUS='OLD' in the OPEN statement.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: LPT1: - is it there? Reply with quote

I'll try that. I suppose I'm still contaminated with MS Fortran, which didn't treat standard devices completely like files.

Thanks

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: