forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FORALL puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:11 pm    Post subject: FORALL puzzle Reply with quote

Consider the use of the FORALL statement in the following code.

FTN95 accepts this a valid code, and succeeds in arriving at the array x = (-5., -4. -3 …… 5) as implied by the coding.

Both gFortran and iFort also accept it as valid code, and both return an identical set of results, x = (-5, -4, 1, 1, 1, 1, …. 1), i.e. different from FTN95.

Should not all the compilers (including FTN95) not reject this line of code?

My simple understanding is that the steps within the FORALL structure can be theoretically executed in any order i.e. when evaluating x(i) = x(i-1) + dx, the value of x(i-1) may not necessarily have been previously calculated, so the compliers should reject the situation where x(i) and x(j) appear on either side of the = sign? Is my understanding correct?

Can anybody explain what I am observing here? Very confused by this, especially when the three compiler test for any code returns different answers.

Code:
program forall_puzzle
implicit none
integer, parameter :: n = 11
integer, parameter :: dp = kind(1.d0)
real(kind=dp) xmin, xmax, dx, x(n)
integer i
  xmin = -5.d0
  xmax = +5.d0
  dx   = (xmax - xmin)/dble(n-1)
  print*, 'dx = ', dx
  x(1) = xmin
  forall (i=2:n:1) x(i) = x(i-1) + dx

!$$$$$$ ! Do loop alternative to forall
!$$$$$$   do i = 2, n, 1
!$$$$$$     x(i) = x(i-1) + dx
!$$$$$$   end do

do i = 1, n
    print*, i, x(i)
  end do
end program forall_puzzle
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code is invalid because x(2:9) are not defined when they are used in the FORALL assignment statement, except when one specific order of evaluation is followed on a single processor shared memory computer. Here is the relevant section of the F2008 standard:

Execution of a forall-assignment-stmt that is an assignment-stmt causes the evaluation of expr and all expressions within variable for all active combinations of index-name values. These evaluations may be done in any order. After all these evaluations have been performed, each expr value is assigned to the corresponding variable. The assignments may occur in any order.

Just as with any other assignment involving expressions that contain undefined variables, the compiler is not required to detect or do anything specific when given this code with errors.

I said above that there is one specific order of evaluation for which no usage of undefined variables occurs. That is the natural sequential order i = 2, 3, ..., 10. It seems that FTN95 picks this order, because compiling and running with the /undef option does not cause a runtime error, and the output results reported for FTN95 support this conjecture.
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecej4,

Thank you for your detailed discussion which is very informative.

You have confirmed my somewhat vague initial thoughts on the code being invalid (although FTN95 suggested otherwise), and explained why.
simon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that DO FORALL has been superseded by DO CONCURRENT
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use code in FORALL where order is important. The same applies in a !$OMP DO

Try "x(i) = xmin + (i-1)*dx"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: