forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximum Stack Size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sisutcliffe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Maximum Stack Size Reply with quote

Hi

I'm trying to compile an executable which contains many large arrays. The same program when using smaller ranges for arrays works fine. Does anybody know:

a) what the maximum stack size is?

b) why i keep getting a "file.exe is not a valid win32 application" when I try to run the (successfully) compiled executable (rather than an "out of memory" error if it is because the stack is too small)?

Thanks
Si
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Maximum Stack Size Reply with quote

Simon

a) For Win32 and SLINK the default stack size is documented as 50MB.

b) Are you using Plato3, Visual Studio or a DOS box? If you are using Plato3 or Visual Studio then presumably there is something wrong with the name of the project target in the Project Properties.
sisutcliffe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Maximum Stack Size Reply with quote

Paul

a) I know this, but I was wondering if there was a maximum size that the compiler could create an executable to use?

b) DOS. The executable when compiled with smaller dimensions works fine so there is presumably nothing wrong with any settings in terms of executable creation.

Si
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Maximum Stack Size Reply with quote

Simon

There are a number of threads in this forum concerning the 2GB address space and how you can increase this to 3GB under Windows XP. Try searching for 2GB.
Darko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Maximum Stack Size Reply with quote

It seems that I have a similar sort of problem. In my case, when array size is incerased, at the run-time I get the following message:

" Salford run-time library. Stack Overflow: Re-link program with bigger stack value. (stack:reserve,commit). Will attampt to trace back."

After clicking OK, another window appears with the message:
" Stack overflow: at address =4626a8, esp=462974,...."

Any ideas what to do (set) ? I am using Plato 3 (ver. 3.30) under Win Xp Pro.

Regards

Darko Grosev

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Maximum Stack Size Reply with quote

Darko

This was the subject of the latest message under the main Plato3 heading of this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: