forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting with Plato
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alangr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Starting with Plato Reply with quote

I am just starting to use Plato and am stuck at the start.

Plato opens OK but the buttons that show do not correspond to those in the guide. Further, the options menu is very different from what is shown in the guide and there is no 'show products', for example.

I can compile and run a file but errors do not result in any dialogue that I can find (there is no 'show error window' button on the toolbar). I also tried to start a new project but the only options under 'Project' were 'add references' and 'enable dependency checking'.

I am using software that I set up in 2013 so I do expect that there have been updates/changes since then but both Plato and FTN95 were set up together and have not been updated separately so I am thinking that all should operate OK as a package.

Clearly I am way off somewhere and I would appreciate advice on how to get started.

Thanks
mecej4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please state the versions of Plato, FTN95 and Windows that you use. Please give a complete reference for what you call "the guide".
alangr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick response,

Plato is ver. 4.6.3.0 dated 24/01/2019

FTN95 is ver 7.00.0 dated 24/01/2019

Windows is W10Pro OS build 1043:1645

The Guide is the Salford software FTN95 User's Guide dated May 2000 downloaded from the Silverfrost site.

I have also dipped into the ftn95.chm software that helps a little but does not clear up the main problems.

Is there more recent documentation, I wonder.
alangr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I did not give you all the information available, sorry.

FTN95 details V7.00.0 dated 24/01/2019 although the date stamp on the file is 07/09 2013.

Plato is the same: v4.6.3.0 dated 24/01/2019 although the time stamp on the file is 14/08/2013.

I have not been aware of any updates but clearly both have been updated at some point without amending the time stamp.
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there reasons not to update the compiler, linker, Plato, etc., to the current/latest releases? It is going to be nearly impossible for others to match the same (mismatched) versions of the tools, and it would help me to understand what you did if you were to use the current tools and provide a link (the URL) for whichever user guide you are following when attempting to build and run a program.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After compiling, error reports will automatically appear in the "Output Results" window.

If this window is not visible then use the main "View menu" and ensure that a check mark appears next to the "Output Results" item. If not then click on this item and the window should become visible.

If the "Output Results" window is still not visible then you will need to reset its position by editing your Plato.ini file (this might sometime happen when changing the screen resolution or when changing from dual monitors back to a single monitor).

Plato.ini is typically found in the folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\SilverFrost\FTN95 where xxxx is your user name.

Edit this file using Notepad (say), find the section headed "[Output]" and delete the whole section.
alangr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your help. The information on accessing files I will note for reference until I can sort out the main issues.

The only possible reason not to consider updating to current versions is cost. I was aware that I was still working with the original versions I purchased but assumed that they would be compatible, even if somewhat out of date. However it seems that I am wrong about this.

As I would like to move forward using Plato/FTN95, please can you point me to the appropriate update path to allow me to get a suite of software that is compatible.

The guide that I mentioned was downloaded from the site

https://www.silverfrost.com/23/ftn95/support/documentation.aspx

and then going to the link ''Here is' to download the PDF version of the User's guide.

Thanks again for your help.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan

If the initial problem is that you can't see the error reports then it I rceommend that you address that issue.

Click on the Main menu item labelled "View" and look for "Output Results". Does your Plato show that item and is it checked?

Can you now see the "Output" window?
alangr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

I have manged to open an output window and running a simple program gets the output to that window OK.

But when I call a s/r that does not exist, execution stops but no errors are reported in the output window - or anywhere else that I can see. The view menu now shows 'output results' ticked.

But the project window is as before and does not allow a new project to be started.

Given the different versions of software that I have, should I not be moving to get software into a coherent suite?

Thanks for your help
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan

If you call a subroutine that does not exist then an exception will be raised and you should see a runtime dialog and this is external and not related to Plato.

You will get the same dialog if you run your executabe from a command line or from File Explorer.

If you can't see the error dialog then press Alt+Tab to scan through all open apps.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

Sometimes the problem is missing something you don't know you missed, and can't describe the problem because you don't really know what it is (no disparagement intended, it happens to everyone).

If you would like a Zoom call with a long-time user (myself) then by all means send me your e mail via a private message and I'll see if I can help. I can't make Monday, but Tuesday would work. I'd issue the Zoom (or Teams, if you prefer) invitation. You would have to tell me a suitable time.

Best regards

Eddie
alangr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

I can see the exception that arises when I call a missing subroutine although I was expecting a recognisable response from SBDG as under ‘tools/options’ the setting ‘integrate with SDBG’ is checked. Individual routine compilations that contain errors are reported OK but there is only a line number for reference which could get messy to troubleshoot with files of any size.

I have not found how to include subroutines except by putting them after the main file. Is there no ‘slink’ equivalent?

From what (little) I have seen I would expect that working with a ‘project’ would be cleaner way of working but I cannot find any way to open a new project.

I am also writing to Silverfrost about updating which may help this issue.

Eddie

I am very much with your sentiment but guess that I must get an updated version of Plato before I try to go further. Unfortunately I am very deaf so Zoom is not possible. I do thank you for your offer, though.

Thanks both
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan

For 32 bit compilations the integrated SDBG in Plato is rather slow and should be avoided.

Upgrading to the latest full releases is recommended. After that you could try using 64 bit compilations with or without integrated SDBG64 in Plato.

After upgrading you can get the latest interim updates via the following link on this forum...

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=4245

At further update for Plato will be available soon.

Last edited by PaulLaidler on Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
alangr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

Many thanks for your help. I will await details on how to update.

Regards
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

The offer of help is unconditional. I was sorry to hear of your deafness. Once you have your updated software, it may be that a short meeting at somewhere convenient might be helpful. Let me know.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: