forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calendar tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Calendar tool Reply with quote

Has anyone integrated a calendar selection pop-up style (ala Word, Google Calendar, etc.) from FTN95?

I have a desire to provide this as an option. Sometimes my users are inconsistent in specifying dates and this would be helpful to enforce formatting.

Also, some of the data they are time-tagging were collected in the 19th Century! It would help to make it explicit!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a %mc (month calendar) but at the moment it is only available when using %di. It is mentioned in the help file under ClearWin+->Using dialog resources->Notes.

At some point it would be nice if we could implement this independently of %di but there is a back log of work to do right now.
wahorger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, totally understand! And, there is a way "around" it, so no worries!

Thanks for pointing this out. As time permits, I'll experiment with this.

Bill
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you SHOW an example of what you are talking about and how it can be useful, better with the pictures?
wahorger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Google Calendar

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QEH5qtLnaYEoA95h9

Select the date, versus typing in. The interface gives you access to the details of the selection, so you can then reformat the date appropriately (and correctly).
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Still getting no clue how and where it could be used with Clearwin. I may miss something but is there anything in Clearwin which uses dates for something ? Something like search and Select by date

And never used %di. Found why. Because there were no visual examples in Clearwin Help or in demo sources showing how it looks and works. Actually there exist one but it uses Visual Studio to compile and Microsoft style resource file. Suspect novice Clearwin users will will never touch %di in 100 years
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, no Clearwin+ itself has no need.

I have a need to keep dates consistent within the files/database for searching purposes. So, giving the user a way to use the interface might help to keep them "on the straight and narrow" of date entry.

For example: 11/8/21. The software allows (for arcane reasons) this as a simple character variable. But the users want to search on it, so....

Is it 2021, or 1821, or 1921? No one can tell. The user's data can span centuries. Any one of these could be correct.
Is it American format of November 8? Or is it European format for August 11?

My software assumes it is entered in American format (mm/dd/yyyy). Not European (dd/mm/yyyy). This control can enforce that, allowing the user to click on the date, navigate the year by using left and right arrows, change the month with arrows, etc. Then, I get to put the date into the file and database in the format I'm expecting it to be. When they search, they can do whatever they want for the region they are in, and I'll be able to handle the request unambiguously.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

One way of ensuring the relevant order of day/month is to have a drop-down list for the month rather than a number entry box.

Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, yes, that is true.
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

LitusSaxonicum wrote:

One way of ensuring the relevant order of day/month is to have a drop-down list for the month rather than a number entry box.

Eddie

At another software forum, I was surprised to learn that in some countries and industries it is common practice to use week numbers rather than month names. An example of a calendar with week numbers: https://www.123freevectors.com/2021-calendar-with-week-numbers-180500/ .

In response to a reported bug, the support technician wrote, "ETA is for the fix to be released in week 46 of 2021."
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecej4,

I have no doubt that you are right that this is sometimes (Somewhere?) done, but the possibilities for confusing the day and week numbers still exists. I leave it to you to work out the combination of week/day numbers that can be confused, but I imagine that it is still a lot.

A 4-digit year and a 1 or 2-digit day combined with a named month is about as good as it gets in resolving ambiguity, and a drop-down selection combo box with all 12 months is not too complicated. This is %`ls for the ClearWin+ user.

When using ClearWin+ you can set the limits for day number dynamically depending on what the month name is, and also depending on what the year number is to account for leap years.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: