forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple issues with SDBG64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you interrupted the run ? There is no small window which was present during the run the only purpose of which was to interrupt the run and get into debugger

Yes, Alt+X works
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Alt+X behavior was changed? Alt+X closed debugger in the past. Now what in the past special small window was doing (interrupting the run) the Alt+X is doing? THIS SHOULD BE mentioned in the menu!!! Menu only says
"Alt+X - EXIT"
Robert

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press the pause button to stop your program.
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my environment the look and feel and functionality of the debugger is different with respect to the compiler version and the property, if generating a 32 bit or a 64 bit version.

1. ftn95 version 7.10

Create and debug Dan's executable with ftn95 version 7.10, start the debugging session e.g. via F6 (continue); then after some time a dialog window with titlebar "Waiting" is shown and you may pass control back to the debugger by pressing the pause button of the dialog; this dialog does not appear when doing the same for ftn95 version 8.73 (in case of the 64 bit and the 32 bit situation).

2. ftn95 version 8.73
Building and debugging Dan's 32 bit executable with ftn95 version 8.73, then starting it via F6 and pressing ALT-X results in a dialog window with titlebar "Confirm Exit" with two buttons "Exit" and "Cancel". This dialog does not occur in the same situation if Dan's executable is built as a 64 bit executable and via ftn95 version 8.73; the debugger stops without showing this dialog.

I suggest that if builiding and debugging with ftn95 version 8.73, the dialogs missing should be displayed, as well, as is the case for ftn95 version 7.10.

Regards,
Dietmar
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
What is pause button? There is no additional small dialog window where i remember was something like that. What i am saying above is that there is either the bug or the default behavior of debugger was changed as now to stop (pause) the run during the execution and fall into debugger i need to push Alt+X which in previous versions was used only to close debugger

Dietmar,
Exactly what i meant
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ftn95 version 7.10 after pressing F6 in the debug session with sdbg after some time a dialog window (with titlebar "Waiting" ) is displayed. This dialog window contains a push button with text "pause" and the text "The application being debugged is running. Control will return to the debugger when either a breakpoint or error occurs."

I thought this was exactly what Dan requested with
Quote:
How you interrupted the run ? There is no small window which was present during the run the only purpose of which was to interrupt the run and get into debugger

Unfortunately I do not see this dialog window for ftn95 environment 8.73 (32 bit case) and for ftn95 environment 8.10 (32 bit case which I checked this morning).

Regards
Dietmar
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is what new SDBG is missing. If company decided to interrupt the run different way - this has to be clear in the menu

For example i can interrupt my programs with 1) Hot key 2) menu Run-Pause-Continue-Stop 3) Radiobutton 4) Similar little window like older debugger. All are convenient for different situations, and often you need to act quick. In earlier versions of Clearwin only 4th option was rock solid and always interrupted any code even if it froze. Currently i see all 4 work OK
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alt+X is still not functioning like it was with 32bits. After you hit Alt+X SDBG closes debugged file but does not exit
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and there still no way to stop the run in the middle and get into debugger - no appropriate window to pause run
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still sometimes SDBG64 does not like some variables and does not list them in the window or expose their value in bubble help if you put the mouse cursor on it. So to see the value of variable1 i create another variable2 and this variable shows its value in bubble. Still both are not listed in the list of current variables in the debugger window

variable2 = variable1
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not check my code for couple years on /check /undef because SDBG64 was buggy before on this key combination and only like 9 months ago started to be mostly bug-free, not crashing by itself, showing the exact line with error and etcetc.

And spent 10 hours non-stop compiling-debugging-compiling-debugging-compiling-debugging cleaning mostly array violations i made during this time !

Use debuggers and /undef /check sometimes, people
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

DanRRight wrote:
...and there still no way to stop the run in the middle and get into debugger - no appropriate window to pause run

The pause button stops your program (next to run). You can also place breakpoints whilst your program is running.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Robert, Wow, a quarter of century i use SDBG and only today noticed this gray button thinking it was kind of useless separator Smile Or it was added recently? Before Pause was done as a special window, to emphasize its importance. I mostly used keyboard shortcuts, they are more convenient than buttons, plus the menu reminds their definitions

I'd add Pause option to menu, all other buttons are doubled as menu items but not a Pause ! And made icons on these buttons more modern and bright. Or next user will try debugger and will think it lacks some major things for successful debugging and next time will try it like 25 years from now !
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pause button was added when the separate dialog was removed. A menu entry would be a good idea too.

You may have noticed a floating 'dot' that tracks the cursor appears after the line numbers. If you click it the debugger should do a 'get to' that line.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this dot is analog of "get to cursor" or F3?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: