forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

raw beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FalkyBob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: raw beginner Reply with quote

Looking at your forums I must admit I wonder whether I belong here as I am effectively a raw beginner. I'm now retired but I wrote some civil engineering software in fortran back in the 80's and have this mad idea of bringing it up to date. It used MSLIB and worked well.

I'm using a 64 bit laptop and Windows 10 and have worked through your videos and help pages and, I have to say, there are a few words I understand! My immediate problem is that I am following the Clearwin 1 video which makes reference to iw=winio@('%wi', 100). When I try to replicate this exactly as on the video, I get the error message that the %wi symbol is not recognised. I am very confused!
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in your 'private messages' and you will find my offer of help.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FalkyBob

I suggest that you start with the tutorial that you will find in the help file ftn95.chm. You can access this directly from Plato.

Look for section called ClearWin+ and then the topic "ClearWin+ tutorial".
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, we are all beginners one day!

I do not know which program you ran. You can attach the source code to your reply. The problem with using a video as the "document" is that you have to specify the instant at which one has to stop the video and copy the code that is shown. Furthermore, one cannot copy the code from the video and paste the text into a file.

My suggestion is that you compile, link and run a few character I/O programs before writing GUI programs and programs with graphical output.

If you have some of your old programs on a listing or as a file, you may attempt to run them, and we can help you with that.
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board. I have found the forum very useful - looking at other people's code snippets and discovering ways of doing things that I have never thought about.

Below is a link to a short program that opens a window, gets some data from the user, and does some calculations on that data when the user clicks on a button.

This action initiates the callback function calc_cb. At the beginning of calc_cb a "sense check" is performed on the data.
If there are obvious errors an error message is displayed. If there are no errors the calculation proceeds and the output is updated in the main window.

The calculation, in this case, is to estimate the leakage inductance/reactance between two concentric coils - a very basic characteristic of an electrical transformer model.

Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iof1g15682es6ot/leakage_reactance.f95?dl=0
FalkyBob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: raw beginner Reply with quote

Can I thank everyone for their response, in particular, LitusSaxonicum, who has just spent two hours giving me a tutorial covering the basics of Clearwin. I now appreciate the potential of Clearwin.

I'll try everything suggested but my tutorial from our Saxon Shore has given me the best start possible.

The code from the first Clearwin video that I used was:
WINAPP
PROGRAM Actionpage
INTEGER iw,winio@
iw=winio@('%wi', 100)
END
I still, however, get an error with %wi which is used on the video.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
try removing winio@ from the INTEGER statement

It's interesting that you've jumped in at the deep end with %wi which since it's introduction hasn't been mentioned (much if at all ?) on any forum posts.
Does anyne actually use it !, (he wanda-ed)
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the minimum program that you need to get started with "Visual ClearWin+"...

Code:
  iw = winio@("%~wi",100)
  end

Note that %wi is a recent addition to the library so if it doesn't work then you will need to download new DLLs.

However, I agree that it is probably not the easiest place to start using ClearWin+.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: