forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I broke my GUIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: I broke my GUIs Reply with quote

Folks,
Can you please look at the default font of your Windows10 ? I changed something and now all my Clearwin GUIs are displaying larger fonts creating total mess on the screen.

I have set font size at 100%, my desktop text and icons look OK, but the Clearwin GUI has different font and/or different font size. Is default font Segoe, by the way? What is %sf in Windows ?

/** Even more problems i had with 8k monitor but that is different story, we will discuss this later, may be in a month when NVIDIA start selling GTX 3080 and 3090 graphics card for 8K monitors. Right now i can see the text in common applications like browsers OK but the frame rate is only 30 Hz due to absence of HDMI 2.1 in any graphics cards so far. Surprisingly there is absolutely no problem with video at 30Hz, no flicker at all, but funny, what is killing ... is the mouse speed and lag Sad . Terrible. And no HDR. Could be drivers are buggy or not optimized.

What will be main issue with Clearwin at 8k is that we will have to use Windows text and icons scaling factors like 150 or 200%. As to the scaling of DPI I remember Eddie discussed how CWP applications have to react on scaling of font size in Windows but this did not touch me, because the transition from 2k to 4k monitor was flawless with no any changes. Now change from 4k to 8k made totally unusable GUI with radiobuttons and text not fitting each other. So this and the mouse lag, forced me to use 8k monitor in 4k mode.
Monitor was amazingly good initially. With their quantum dots brightness and gamma, retina resolution and the HDR, you will not return back to 8bit mode! Texts do not have artifacts anymore, you will make less errors when you type or read. I got 65" display at the less than 1/2 price because of lack of broadband PC to monitor HDMI connections. Without 8k/60Hz/32bits at least the 8k is indeed useless. In 2-3 weeks NVIDIA will fix this.

Last edited by DanRRight on Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

See item 369 of cwplus.enh

This might fix your problem:

Code:
iw = SetDpiAwareness@(0)
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
Yes, many thanks, this returned GUI back to normal !

Please share also your experience with DPI scaling. How to avoid when designing GUI possible problems when changing Windows scaling factors? Looks like this will be our norm in near future with all these hi res monitors
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I first raised this at least a decade ago. My experience is that originally Windows allowed scaling virtually to any ratio, but now it seems to be in fixed jumps. The scaling method in CW+ is sometimes perfect and other times less so.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: