forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experimental Plato

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stfark1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Experimental Plato Reply with quote

The 64 bit, experimental Plato vers 5.+ was available in dropbox, need to download again, anyone know what the new URL is for this software? Tried to access from a previous recommendation but when I tried to access, said the URL cannot be found, was moved? Sid Kraft
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the only sticky post in the Support forum; that post is at the top. Inside that post you will find the following link for Plato:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ilciaykmznx2lt/Plato535.zip?dl=0
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid

Regarding this and your other post that is similar, I suspect that you may not understand what Plato is.

Plato.exe is a text editor for writing Fortran programs. When it comes to compiling and linking your program, you need other applications FTN95.exe and SLINK.exe etc. These can be accessed from Plato but are not built into Plato.
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From some of Sid's earlier posts in the PLATO forum, I suspected that he thought PLATO was a self-contained IDE with a built-in compiler.

In fact, one may get by with that assumption as long as the programs are small and do not depend on linking with libraries, modules, DLLs, etc.

In the Intel Fortran forum I have seen users similarly referring to Visual Studio as the Fortran and C compiler.

Packaging can be deceptive!
stfark1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Experimental Plato Reply with quote

Downloaded Plato Vers 5.+, built a project with my Fortran subroutines, tried to compile with the system set for 64 bit, got the error message FTN95 or FTN77 must be on the path??? How do I assure this? Sid Kraft
mecej4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the FTN95 package installed? If so, which version? Where?

In the folder containing PLATO.EXE (or PLATO32.EXE, whichever one you use), do you see the files FTN95.EXE, SLINK.EXE, SALFLIBC.DLL, etc.?
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people refer to 'plato' as the compiler. Quite a few refer to 'silverfrost' as the compiler too...
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be excellent if SF could come up with a detiled FLOWCHART showin the relationships/interactions of all the component programs.

It might clear up a lot of understandable mis-conceptions.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: