forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

%eq to write an Equation on a Graph?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: %eq to write an Equation on a Graph? Reply with quote

is it possible to use the %eq format code 'over the top of' or 'within' (à la DRAW_CHARACTERS@', a %pl graphic area, for superposing a relevant equation ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at the moment but it is an interesting idea. As it is %eq represents a separate child window with an opaque background. Also, as far as I recall, the symbols are not scalable.

So at the moment you could possibly move it to the desired position but it would probably be too big and you would not be able to see the graph behind it.
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have much success when I tried using %eq. For division (horizontal bar), where the numerator contains subscripts the horizontal bar runs through the subscripts. For example, the equation for the inductance of a solenoid:
Code:
iw = winio@('%eq[L ={divide {mu}{sub 0}{mu}{sub r}AN{sup 2};len}]',0,0)

Where the denominator contains a superscript the superscript is correctly positioned below the horizontal bar.
Code:
iw = winio@('%eq[h = {divide 1;n{sup 2}}]',0,0)

Because of this when I need to display equations, I have adopted the approach of generating images using another tool (e.g. Word) and importing these images as resources. These can then be copied into the %pl graphics region via the call back function.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote
Quote:
... as far as I recall, the symbols are not scalable.

So at the moment you could possibly move it to the desired position but it would probably be too big ...

So, doesn't the width and height (of box around the equation define the size of the equation ?

What is the 'default' size of characters ?

It would also seem important to be able to get the size of the equation generated if one wished to do so. Is that any easy thing to imlement ?

The use if a user-defined font would also appear to be a good enhancement .... but I'm beginning to get carried away with myself a bit ;;;; but wait ...... you've just been put back on lockdown !

'So many things to do , so little time' (or is it the reverse?) appears to be a receding hairline at the mo in Greater M ! Wink
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also see why I was hopeful for the TEX equation facility, which appeared to be hampered by similar limitations - hnot knowing the size of the generated svg image and not being able to crop it without going into the interactive editor;
(makes a mental note to go and try that again and see how it works out after the last 'fix')

I gues one could do 'ones own thing' in a dedicated drawing surface with lines and text but seems a bit of an overkill when there are severl options out there just witing to be tweaked and utilised.

Rotating the equation ould also be desireable (e.g; fi=or a Y-axis label)

Last edited by John-Silver on Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken wrote:
Quote:
For division (horizontal bar), where the numerator contains subscripts the horizontal bar runs through the subscripts

... bug or restriction(design not intended to cater for subscripts in mnumerators, maybe) ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: