forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple query re. compiling/building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colt1954

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Simple query re. compiling/building Reply with quote

Questions

1. Why bother to compile why not just go to build when building reports all errors anyway - well i think it does?

2. What's the difference between build and re-build I cannot tell the difference

3. Initially when I was re-building I could run from Plato and get a window with the programme output etc. But it stopped doing it inside Plato, since it appeared Plato was re-building the original prog. not the updated one, strange so I was having to come out and run from explorer, most odd? I knew this because my virus software used to detect a 'new' version' and pop up scan it it did this in Plato as well, but when that stopped that's when it alerted me that the updated re-build was not happening. Hope that makes sense lol
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes you can just do a build. Click on Compile if you just want to check the code for compilation errors. If you set the appropriate flags in the "Settings" dialog (on the Tools menu) then you can skip the Build and go straight to Run. Plato will do a Build if the code has changed.

2. Build compiles files that have changed. Re-build compiles all relevant files even if you have not made any changes to them.

3. If your output is going to a console window then make sure that you close it by pressing ENTER when the run has finished, otherwise you won't be able to build and run the program again.
colt1954

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
1. Yes you can just do a build. Click on Compile if you just want to check the code for compilation errors. If you set the appropriate flags in the "Settings" dialog (on the Tools menu) then you can skip the Build and go straight to Run. Plato will do a Build if the code has changed.

2. Build compiles files that have changed. Re-build compiles all relevant files even if you have not made any changes to them.

3. If your output is going to a console window then make sure that you close it by pressing ENTER when the run has finished, otherwise you won't be able to build and run the program again.

Thanks Paul not sure you understood point 3, but by run/build setup in the tools i think it does what I need...but one more thing on one simple programme when i run it a 'white run window' pops up, but when l looked at another prog. straight after i got a less preferred 'black command' window for run output, what changes this?
Kenneth_Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is due to one set of code having the WINAPP directive.
Code:
program demo1
print*, 'Hello'
end

vs.
Code:
winapp
program demo1
print*, 'Hello'
end
colt1954

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Kenneth_Smith wrote:
The difference is due to one set of code having the WINAPP directive.
Code:
program demo1
print*, 'Hello'
end

vs.
Code:
winapp
program demo1
print*, 'Hello'
end

Oh i see and they do indeed have that difference...thanks Ken, you are most helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: