forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fotran/Clearwin console windows sace/copy functionality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveDoyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Fotran/Clearwin console windows sace/copy functionality Reply with quote

Paul

Would it be possible to add some form of copy/save functionality to the data in the console windows generate when write(*,*) ... is used inside a clearwin application for old school debugging, or am i missing a trick here

thanks

steve
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Can you provide a more detailed explanation of what is needed?
steveDoyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Paul

PROGRAM TEST
DO 10 IJ = 1, 10
WRITE (*, *) ' ij ', IJ
10 continue
end

if i run the simple example using /go /win it generates a window mark "OUTPUT"
what I would find useful for debugging purposed would be able to capture the information in this window to file or using COPY/PASTE to another application. i'm assuming the data is store in a buffer somehow so should be accessible.

when performing complex numerical task it is highly inefficient to use the debugger and a large overhead to add additional code to save the data to a file (when to open/close file etc.)

In the same logic would it be possible to save the data in the debugger variable window. It is possible to sent it to the printer but a file would be of great benefit to debugging especially the content of array (a variant of plot array maybe)

thanks

steve
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

If you omit /win from the command line for FTN95 and then run the program from a Command Prompt window (DOS box) then you can select what you want to save from the output and press ENTER. This copies the selection to the clipboard.

You can do the same for ClearWin+ code. You get the DOS box (for your diagnostics) and then the expected ClearWin+ windows.

There may be other ways but this is perhaps the simplest.
steveDoyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Paul

I'm not sure what you mean. the only file i compile with the /win option is a 3 line driver routine. The example i gace was just to illustrate how the current "output" window works

program big_application
call start_main_window
end

It seems to save memory during debugging
The code i wish to internal values from are buried deep in calculation routines which are in turn buried deep under highly interactive complex clearwin+ interfaces.

I suppose i would like the "output window" to have the "edit" functioanity of the DOS box

thanks

steve
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

If you compile without /win (and don't use the WINAPP directive) then the "Output" window is replaced by a DOS box. Otherwise you get the same windows.

If you also launch your app from a DOS box then the same DOS box replaces the "Output" window. You can copy text that is displayed in a DOS box.
steveDoyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

Your first suggestion worked and i got the DOS Box. Launching the app with /win from a dos box give the "output" windows

I will modify my build macros (project structure incompatible with Plato ) to remove the /win option when using /debug. It will help to remind me i have embedded debug feedback.

thanks

steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: