forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This will extend your PC life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: This will extend your PC life Reply with quote

If you feel that there is not enough RAM your computer has i found one feature we always used at the start of PC era - to manage swap file manually. Recently this is handled automatically by Windows. And as a result you will quickly feel that you need upgrade your computer.

Essentially you have to go to System and find in Performance Tab how Windows handles paging.sys file. Uncheck automatically and instead use whatever amount of memory you need, 64, 128 or 200+ GB. Better to dedicate for this swap file destination small but fast SSD drive and even better latest superfast NVMe M.2 drives which having speeds 4-5 GB/second almost an order faster than SSD

Funny, even the restrictions of older Intel processors 32GB does not matter in this case. So your old boy will still work perfectly for years. Essentially during last 10 years there was not that huge progress in the per core PC speed. Mostly the muscles of PCs were pumped with the number of cores great majority of users do not know how to use, parallel software is rear. Still when you need to run multiple tasks simultaneously this is usable. In the future i hope Silverfrost will add parallelization features to FTN95 and multithreading debugging into SDBG and Plato. You also may use third-party parallel libraries, they usually work OK with FTN95 in the form of DLL

So, better spend your money on good 50+ inch 4K TV as a monitor and storage drives. For help how to adjust swap file exactly Google can easily assist. For example here https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-optimize-the-paging-file-in-windows
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather fascinating Dan. Microsoft is more likely to kill off that old computer than anything else. For example my AMD Phenom II system with DDR3 RAM. Windows 10 updated itself to Update 1903 more times than I like to remember, and then on reboot rolled back to the previous version. Then one day it wouldn't, and I got computer Groundhog Day.

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: