forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plato update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4, I had a similar suspicion but I don't think there's a need to log in in order to click and download the file,I do it directly all the time without logging in.

Sid - what size is the file you've got is it about 369K by any chance ?

I did an experiment by downloading via a right-click directly on the link in the post (a method I habitually use on other sites) and it creates a file with the correct name (Update.zip) of size 369K but which is unopenable (the message I get with winrar is just that the file is of unknown format).

Maybe that's the way you habitually download also, via a right-click ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

John-Silver wrote:
mecej4, I had a similar suspicion but I don't think there's a need to log in in order to click and download the file,I do it directly all the time without logging in.

John, I wrote:

Quote:
..."Sign in". Do not press this button.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mecej4, thanks for your edit to clarify.
it's a bit doom n gloom 'beware here live demons' though with the heavy type as you CAN actually log in if you want and still download it !

'You an login if you want but it's not necessary, you can just click the download button' , would be clearer

Dropbox is imo a bit 'american' in it's UI which I consider to be slightly 9-bob note ish .... it's not quite there.
For example, I was gobsmacked when I first needed to clear some space and found out how not-easy it was - it not being clear that it's not sufficient just to delete the files !

They obviously want you to log in (for advertising reasons) but it would be a nice touch if they put on the button 'Login ... if you want to but it's not absolutely necessary'
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Users with a Dropbox account can mount their Dropbox file tree as a virtual drive. For such users, being able to save to the virtual drive may be a convenient feature, especially if that drive is shared with a workgroup,

On the other hand, people do not need to open a Dropbox account just to download a public-access file.

I was happy for decades with the K.I.S.S. functionality of FTP, but nobody seems to use FTP anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: