forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recources
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Is that the right approach? Presumably, if one has to call use_resource_library@, then it might be possible to put all the icons etc relating to a particular, customisable, appearance in its own library, and then other appearances in other libraries. Then, load the appropriate library at startup.

I'm not sure how you would switch 'themes' on the fly with this.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

If a DLL is not loaded then the ClearWin+ library will not be able to find resources in it. Perhaps I am missing something but the new approach seems sound to me.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think Eddie is criticising(questioning the soundness of) the approach discussed in any way, just proposing that if there was a way to select certain dll(s) for loading then it wouls ease the burden on the programmer to do that within the code ?

I seem to remember from a while back when i pottered (aimlessly) around !resource file info) that there is maybe a way to perform certain load operations in a resource file (like loading only certain dlls using a sort of high-level- language within it ?

Or maybe I was dreaming it.

Otherwise , could the developer of SLINK/SLINK-64 maybe eventually do something to that end.

Talking of SLINK development, I note tht you only mentioned update to SLINK64 concerning the soon-to-be redundancy of needing to load resources.
Won't that be done for 32bit also or are we definitely on the slippery slope to eliminating fully-parallelly-developed 32bit ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "

Last edited by John-Silver on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no adverse criticism intended. It was a question, really. If it was possible to selectively load dlls, and someone had used that to set optional themes, then loading all dlls would lead to multiple definitions - maybe? That's all.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take it as a criticism.

By way of further explanation, the new mechanism will only kick in when the existing one fails to find the resource, a kind of "long stop". So the existing mechanism will continue to work as now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: