forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request undefined variables be named when detected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Request undefined variables be named when detected Reply with quote

In error messages following the detection of an undefined variable being used, when /checkmate was used to compile the program being run, only the line numbers and routine names are printed out. It would be very helpful if the particular variable responsible were named in the error message.

Here is an example. The buggy line of code:
Code:
IF (KA.LE.N-M+1) GA(KA+M-1)=GA(KA+M-1)+0.25D 0*PAR*(+A1*GA3(5)-A2*GA4(4))

Here is the error message that is printed at present when the bug is detected and the program is terminated:

Code:
Reference to undefined variable, array element or function result (/UNDEF) at address 5c767f

Within file teql.exe
in TAGU18 in line 5815, at address 22ad5

...more traceback lines...

Contrast this with the message from NAG Fortran for the same bug:

Code:
Runtime Error: tssubs.f, line 5815: Reference to undefined variable GA(KA+M-1)

Thanks.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I have made a note of this.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This suggestion has been adopted and work is in progress. The aim is to implement this for 64 bits and notification for simple variables is already in place (for the next release).
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrected for a myriad of spelling/typing errors on 5/10/2020 in case that was holding back on getting a reply.

Paul,back in February you wrote:
Quote:
This suggestion has been adopted and work is in progress. The aim is to implement this for 64 bits and notification for simple variables is already in place (for the next release).

I've noted over the last year or so this type of selective mod to 64bit only has been referred to more and more often.

Can I just ask whats the specific logic used to decide what to update for 32 bit, and what for 64bit, or both ?

My intiuition tells me to prepare myself for an imminent 'bucketing', or at least 'sidelining' (with for example not all new/enhanced capabilities being included in both 32 and 64 bit versions).

This approach has a certain logic, I guess, but it's a little disconcerting (for me at least) to see what appears to be a sidelining of a very stable part of the Ftn05 family.

Resoucres are of course limited, but is there , bearing in mind the still (imo) somewhat 'uncertain' nature of 64 bit ftn95, a well-founded drive to the sidelining of the 32bit version ?

It's just that it' useful for comitted 32 bit users to know in advance.

I suspect Eddie might be top of that list, and although he's the last person I'd even think about not being able to adapt to a uniquely 64bit world,he's dedicated to the 32bit for a very good reason - it's stability.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not keep 32bit version on sidelines for almost a year. Before if tricky error appeared i had no choice but scale down 64bits to 32buts. But bit by bit 64bit started to beat 32bit a bit and do not dig into 32th basement floor anymore.
I understand that for a while the 32 and 64 bit version will be supported because there is no reason to switch to 64 if 32 works. I do not know how painful this synchronization job for Silverfrost is. On my experience on my own programs supporting two versions always was a nighmire hell. If for Silverftost this also is painful then my suggestion is to perform long overdue optimization of just the 64bit version to reach Intel IVF on Polyhedron tests and all users will switch to 64bits overnight. A lot of new users will also join or switch to Silverfrost i expect as this is the major issue which drags FTN95 from much broader adoption. Adding parallelization will be almost all what people need. Good also probably to do some cosmetic lift and change the name to FTNX or something
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Thanks for the feedback.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wroted:
Quote:
Good also probably to do some cosmetic lift and change the name to FTNX or something

... which is a very valid observation ... 25 years (that's a quarter of a century !!!) old and still rocking well into th 21st century !

Maybe we should have a 'rename it competition' ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been named, yes, I do still adhere to the 32-bit version. Partly it is due to its stability, but also because I like the idea of x87 code. Another thing is that I have, and use, a very small format laptop with only 2Gb RAM soldered in, so it cannot run Windows 10 64 bit reliably for several things. 32 bit Fortran programs that don't need every last bit and byte are as important to some of us as the multi-gigabyte using Dan and John. Not everyone has the latest and best

But, do I care a fig about enhancements to facilities that I don't use? Probably not. Is the future the 64-bit version? Of course it is.

Things could change dramatically with a simple decision at Micro$oft to remove 32-bit support from Windows
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to my previous post, that 2Gb laptop becomes unusable if OneDrive is enabled, and the MS Teams app runs in the background, so its days are numbered.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Things could change dramatically with a simple decision at Micro$oft to remove 32-bit support from Windows

this is highly unlikely, nay, IMPOSSIBLE !

the 'problem' is that 'corporte stuctures' are notoriously slow on the uptake for new technology because of ... THE COST !

I worked at a large european aerospace company in 2004 - 2008 when they took the decision to 'update' the computer park. What a long-winded (and expensive - they had to put a cap on the sub-contractor hours to do it because it was costing so much because of problems after problems) - and all for what, to 'keep up with the Jones's ?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to your laptop, Eddie, you probably can keep your computer forever if you do not need multitasking, as single cores only became barely 50% faster in the whole decade, and if you overclock then 0% like in my case. I upgraded PCs after 8-10 years and the compilation time, data load time, OpenGL speed even almost did not change at all. Good that they are hurricane fast with FTN95. RAMdrive speeds surprisingly also did not increase twice despite DDR3 RAM was substituted by DDR4. The only what changed 4x was parallel algebra speed, because of 4x more cores. Read-write speed of hardware in principle potentially improved 10-20x but we need some additional efforts to get that gain, like special HDF5 drivers compatible with FTN95 we still do not have. Windows loading speed did not increase 10-20x, by the way, maximum 1.5x. There was saying i agree with "Computers with speed difference less than 1.5 are the same"

Last edited by DanRRight on Mon May 17, 2021 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: