forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMD vs Intel. Fight!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: AMD vs Intel. Fight! Reply with quote

Ian Cutress from Anandtech is preparing test of new AMD 64-core processor, see

"AMD’s 64-Core Threadripper 3990X, only $3990! Coming February 7th"

Let's prepare for him the test which we have tried here few years back where we used linear algebra AX=B dense matrix as an example (used MKL/Pardiso and LAIPE parallel libraries).

Now from ver 19 i think Intel MKL/Pardiso libraries support AVX512 and if AMD will beat Intel processors using Intel's own software the game for Intel with its 10x overpriced processors is over. AMD has huge chance doing that because its large caches even though it supports only SSE256. And the 8-channel memory on another 64core AMD cheaper than Intel processor called EPYC 7002 has chance to beat Intel even more

Here is an example mecej4 wrote for MKL library back then. We just need to compile it with new MKL library on any compiler which will support AVX512 and sent it to Ian

Code:

implicit none
 integer :: i,j,neq,nrhs=1,lda,ldb, info
 real*8,allocatable :: A(:,:),b(:)
 integer, allocatable :: piv(:)
 Integer count_0, count_1, count_rate, count_max

do neq=1000,21000,5000
    lda=neq; ldb=neq
    allocate(A(neq,neq),b(neq),piv(neq))
    call random_number(A)
    call random_number(b)
    Call system_clock(count_0, count_rate, count_max)
    CALL dgesv (nEq,nrhs,A,ldA,piv, b, ldb, info)
    Call system_clock(count_1, count_rate, count_max)
    Write (*, '(1x,A,i6,A,2x,F8.3,A)') 'nEqu = ',nEq,' ', &
         dble(count_1-count_0)/count_rate, ' s'
    deallocate(A,b,piv)

end do
 end
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I am looking at the Ryzen 9 3900X as a comparison to the i9-10920X or i9-9900KS. Hopefully I might be able to test them to see how single thread and multi-thread performance compare. Yet to fine a test pc.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, would be nice if you play with this. Please use Intel MKL ver.19 or later. It has optimization for AWX512.

My MKL is older, i do not know if Intel distributing MKL for free or not, before for some period of time MKL was free.

After you compile the code with new MKL with and without AVX512 please send it to me, i will try to ask Anandtech dot com guys to run it on different processors which have AVX512.

I do not know if it is possible to activate AVX in AMD processors, they do not have AVX512, but some have AVX256 i think. Not all Intel processors have AVX512 too, but AVX could be a major improvement point with the linear algebra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: