forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is thisThe Future ... ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Is thisThe Future ... ? Reply with quote

Will FTN95 run on the Google Sycamore ?
... and if it will, is it astronomically quicker ? .... and will that change the face of engineering computing ?

... or is it just part of the Logic Bomb ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not, John. Afer all, FTN95 doesn't support CUDA or the forthcoming Radeon equivalent.

Eddie
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

There is a lot to understand about what is a quantum computer and how to use it.

One of the more difficult suggestions is there is a probability that the quantum "calculations" are correct, that the values recovered from "memory" are the same values that were stored.
At present conventional computers do 10^9 calculations per second.
Recently I have run a project that I estimate has done 10^15 calculations.
What process would be involved to have confidence this project would produce an acceptably accurate answer on a quantum computer ?

I think the answer to your question is that the Google Sycamore would be used for different types or problems that require different solution approaches and produce different types of answers.
Our existing ways of problem definition and solutions will not be directly transferable, but when will they become obsolete ? 2100 perhaps ?

What I am interested in learning is what will be Quantum Fortran ?
Will the first version be QUANTRAN ?

Imagine a future world with Quantum iPhones; social media ?

John
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there is a probability that the quantum "calculations"

!!!!!!! ..... but a computer always gives the correct results Wink

The conundrum of course is that a super-fast computer produces not just fast results, but as a consequence LOTS more results ... the most difficult conunrum thus is how to get those results back to the user in a speedily manner (assuming of course you don't have a cryostat cooler in your house LOL.

I'm sure in the UK BoJo will make this a priority in the govt.'s new houses building 'guidelines' to provide such as standard build, to complement the cable pie-in-the-sky 'broadband for everyone' initiative.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to understand what the Google Sycamore actually did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/opinion/google-quantum-computer-sycamore.html

From the opinion article "Why Google’s Quantum Supremacy Milestone Matters" Google is claimed to achieve the "first use of a quantum computer to make a calculation much faster than we know how to do it with even the fastest supercomputers available. The calculation doesn’t need to be useful"

It appears that it produced a "huge" amount of random results, but not any useful calculation !!

Google claim "it would take the world’s fastest supercomputer 10,000 years to produce a similar output", although IBM claim it would take 2.5 days. To produce what ?
This all came from a 54-qubit configuration.

I am finding it very difficult to understand what was produced.
Was it just a random number generator ?
Aren't there are other analogue result generators to challenge this ?
Certainly needs a smart post-processor to summarise.

Reminds me of my early days of learning programming, when I put in traces in the program and got reams of paper that just went straight into the bin.

I have not read enough to understand what is being achieved, but I don't think Silverfrost has to plan for converting Clearwin+ to the Google fridge any time soon.

Any suggestions of other useful reviews of what was achieved ?

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Intel vs AMD. Fight! Reply with quote

Ian Cutress from Anandtech is preparing test of new AMD 64-core processor, see

"AMD’s 64-Core Threadripper 3990X, only $3990! Coming February 7th"

Let's prepare for him the test which we have tried here few years back where we used linear algebra AX=B dense matrix as an example. Now Intel MKL/Pardiso libraries support AVX512 and if AMD will beat Intel processors the game for Intel with its 10x overpriced processors is over
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: