forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can ClearWin handle images other than bitmap (.bmp)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Can ClearWin handle images other than bitmap (.bmp) Reply with quote

Where in the Clearwin manual should I look for the types of image that Clearwin can handle?

I'm particularly interested in displaying images other than device-independent bitmaps (.bmp)

My project is to re-name and re-locate (for which Fortran procedures are available) the images on my computer. Almost all the images are either jpeg/jpg or gif.

I've built an index (about 30 Megabyte in size) of the full path to every image on my computer; photos I've taken that I now need as part of my advertising/public relations business.

I had envisaged somehow doing a bulk/batch transformation of everything into bitmap format, perhaps using some feature of IrfanView.
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use IrfanView, and you can do a batch conversion using a text file to specify the input file name(s). Just look in the Help under the File Menu. Load text is the key.

I use IrfanView to convert and resize images for my user help file. I set up a batch process. Converts around 140 images in under a minute.

I would not convert to BMP unless I had a specific reason or application that only accepted BMP.. I'd choose either JPEG2000 (JP2 in IrfanView, right?) or PNG. JPEG2000 and PNG are lossless compression, a better choice. TIFF is always a possibility as well.
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

wahorger wrote:

I would not convert to BMP unless I had a specific reason or application that only accepted BMP.. I'd choose either JPEG2000 (JP2 in IrfanView, right?) or PNG. JPEG2000 and PNG are lossless compression, a better choice. TIFF is always a possibility as well.

Thank you wahorger.

Which format should I use for displaying images in Clearwin?
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the documentation, you can use IMPORT_IMAGE@ function to import BMP, JPEG, GIF, EMF, and PCX to place the image in a graphics window.

You can export to PNG as well (EXPORT_IMAGE@).

These functions deal with a window that is displaying and saving an image.
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

wahorger wrote:
According to the documentation, you can use IMPORT_IMAGE@ function to import BMP, JPEG, GIF, EMF, and PCX to place the image in a graphics window.

These functions deal with a window that is displaying and saving an image.

Thank you again, wahorger!

Able to import not just .bmp greatly simplifies my task.

Eric
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

FTN95.CHM is your friend. It's worth reading the section on Clearwin+ section by section. There's also a file in the called CWPLUS.ENH that is worth a read. I say this not as 'RTFM', but you discover a whole lot of things you never even thought of when you read those files!

There is a difference between importing an image into (say) a %gr area (using the IMPORT_xxxx@ functions), and just displaying an image (e.g. %bm, %gi) or using one in a toolbar as an icon (%ic).

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill rote:
Quote:

... which is what it might say in the ftn95.chm file (?) but in the on-line documentation we see:

For INPUT (ref. https://silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/clearwinp/library/import_image_.aspx)
.png, .jpeg, .bmp, .gif or .pcx files can be used

Note .png is said to be input compatible which isn't mentioned by Bill's documentation source.
Note also that the resources file example seems to imply that .jpg also is compatible (t.b.c. by S.F.)

For OUTPUT (ref. https://silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/clearwinp/library/export_image_.aspx
.png, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .gif, .emf, and .pcx files are possible

(note the 2 type jpg/jpeg compatibility)

So, a small amont of clarification is needed in making the documentation (.chm and on-line) consistent imho I think.

Not forgetting the relatively new (since end of last year) introduction of SVG capabilities ....
https://silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/clearwinp/gdialog/svg.aspx
which is a handsomeaddition to the ftn95 portfolio.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

LitusSaxonicum wrote:

FTN95.CHM is your friend.

But who are my enemies? I need to keep them closer than my friends.

Thank you, Eddie. Your post has provided much data for experimentation, as do all student theses.

Ewik - it is phonetically more pleasing than Eric.

Last edited by eric_carwardine on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

John-Silver wrote:

''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ...

"Excuse me, Master, which algorithm should I use when completeing the latest online questionnaire?"

"Good question, Al G. O'rithm. It depends on what the purveyors of questionnaires do with the data."

"Use software to produce lots of pretty output. It will impress somebody, Master."

"So, Al, what should be our strategy?"

"Given the current pan[dem]ic Master might I suggest a strategy that does nor produce vaccines that kill people?"

"Good answer, Al."

DISCLAIMER Any inferred flippancy is entirely intentional. It is this old bloke's attempt to cope with a brain that is a kaleidoscope of ideas.

The offers of agendum for research are much appreciated. They will equip my expedition into the vast array of images that I wish to call upon in my tinkering in the field of public relations.

Thank you John-Silver and all his contemporaries.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Use software to produce lots of pretty output. It will impress somebody, Master."

a.k.a. ..... 'The Idiots Guide To How To Please your Project Manager in One Easy Lesson' Smile
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: