forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error 45
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Error 45 Reply with quote

After the last Microsoft Update, I'm getting an Error 45 during the compile. Since my process stops on this kind of fatal error, I can't tell if I would have gotten more of these. Sometimes, after I restart the process, I'll get another one, sometimes on the same file, sometimes not.

Any ideas?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a normal FTN95 error with a description?
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is. It matches the syntax of error 45 in the message descriptions, identifying a listing being created for the compilation.

I am trying something; it might be that a file being created/updated during the MAKE is still "open" and being written when the compile of a using file starts. Could this cause the error? I have not been diligent in identifying the files that seem to cause the error, but my remembrance is that they all include this one file.

I have a couple of CMD processes that require a delay to be placed in the CMD file to allow closing a file before it gets opened a step or two later in the CMD file.

It is suspicious that this began only after the Windows update.

While I am interested in why this error presents itself, let me see if this short delay stops it from happening. Normally, it happens every 5th or 6th compile, sometimes, everyone! I'll let it go for a few days, and if it does not present itself again, I'll call it good and let you know!
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only error 45 I find is for Runtime errors ...

Quote:
Error

45 String not found

Where can we find the list of compile time errors in the documentation ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
wahorger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a Command window, type:
Quote:
FTN95 -config

You will be presented with a window containing three tabs.

Click on the tab labeled "Error and Warning Messages" to see the full list, with error number, that you can get when compiling.

Bill
wahorger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a large number of re-compiles (more than 30), and have had only one re-compile that had this particular error.

So, maybe on the right track (?). I have a delay of 5 seconds, and am increasing it to 6, JIC.
wahorger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No better at 6 than 5, so will continue to poke at this as time permits to discover the root cause and a fix (if possible).
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way about "FTN95 -config"

I recommend all who do not use IMPLICIT NONE to use "/set_error_level error 298" while compiling (variables has been used without being given an initial value). This still a warning but should be 100% error
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After experiencing several more of these, and not associated with the suspect file, there are few choices as to root cause. It is possible it has something to do with McAfee virus software, but I'm only guessing.

Since the actual reason for the failure is unknown (i.e. is it that the file is in use?), it's hard to try to pinpoint.

Is it possible to get the actual error code from the "open" to see what the problem is? This might help.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (rarely) get .exe file not able to be opened during a rebuild. Repeating the rebuild usually works. ( Much more often the no .exe error is due to me so not a major problem )
There has been problems with frequent open/close of files in Windows so your delay sounds like the likely fix. As these are hard to reproduce, repeating the rebuild has always worked for me.
wahorger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, the delay did not work. Indeed, a delay of over 30 seconds in addition to the 6 seconds I'd already added to the build still resulted in the .LIS file having an error being opened for writing.

I've rarely had the .EXE file error you mentioned. I can't remember the last time it occurred, actually.

With this error, I restart the build. Sometimes, it'll stop again on the same file, sometimes a different file, most times, no errors at all....
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this infamous Windows 10 update No 1903? I was scared by reviews about it breaking a lot of things even taskbar and ethernet, but all went ok on all my PCs.
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, yes, I am running 1903, installed 4 October 2019. There may be a connection, or poor interaction with anti-virus, or.....

So far, this is the ONLY application that has a problem.

Ages ago, I had a problem with Quicken. When I would request a backup to be performed, DropBox would detect that the file was closed and begin to back it up. Almost simultaneously (but a bit later), Quicken would attempt to open the file again to perform the backup. And, Quicken would crash. Every. Time.

If FTN95 does something like DropBox/Quicken, then maybe there is a smoking gun here. But I would imagine that opening/closing/opening a listing file would not be done. And, the folder that contains the listing file is not one monitored by DropBox.

Will still look for a solution.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fatal error 45 occurs when FTN95 fails to create the listing file.

As part of the investigation I would check if the listing file already exists before running FTN95. If it exists, can it be deleted or does the operating system think that it is already in use elsewhere?

Or is there something unusual about the name of the listing file that is upsetting a virus checker? Try switching any virus type checker off or maybe tell the virus checker to ignore this particular file.

Or run the Windows Update checker to make sure that your OS is completely up to date.
wahorger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I've had the error when the files existed, but not after I had done a "clean" (at least, I don't think so). I will work on adding a delete for the listing file prior to the compile in the MAKE file.

As far as excluding a file, McAfee allows that, but only until you change the file, then it turns back on checking. Anyway, you have to specify each file to be excluded individually. It's not a good thing.

Nor can you exclude a file folder. That would be ideal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: