forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Fortran related question: Linux C++ compilation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Not Fortran related question: Linux C++ compilation Reply with quote

This is totally unbelievable.

Do anyone of you know Linux and C++ ? I need to compile the program the author of which is unknown. I know the program is compilable. But the people who managed to compile it used the help from sysadmins and hence have no clue what sysadmin have done. I spent a month to find a single person who has knowledge in elementary thing like compilation of programs.

Fun is that these people who compiled with sysadmin having even written similar codes themselves. And they tried but failed ones with my case and gave up after that. Same was even with their own codes to transfer to another Linux computer systems, they know things in general but not in detail. They tell me "call the sysadmin". From which i concluded that they ALWAYS used the helps of sysadmins before and for 30 years have not spend time to find how to do that themselves. Small problem completely stops them. OK, I called sysadmin few times and found all the critical paths for compilers they may not know but i can not ask sysadmin to babysit again the novice after he has done that with other colleagues. After failure colleagues started to procrastinate with the responds finding numerous reasons not to help you Smile))) Like go for 3 weeks vacation. Or 3 conferences one after another. Or being busy with too many visitors ...bhahahaha. And unbelievable this is because there are written 10 billion apps for the iPhone and Android which is also Linux and none of authors of these apps ever called any sysadmins of Apple or Google Smile Smile Smile

Amazes me the fact that I can transfer my own Fortran programs to any person in the world and this person will be compiling and running them in less than 31 second, i checked, it's just 1 unzip and 1 click. Not counting 3 minutes of installation of FTN95 ...

In short the task looks easy. I do not know Linux and do not know C and do not plan to learn them. I do not understand why this dumb fashion started to write scientific programs in C, this is an absurd.

About this damn program: this program exe works from any account but hiccups with the run continuation from the account where it was not compiled. I have all the settings from working account. We just have to install HDF5 (i do not know how on Linux), create all dirs, correct bashrc, transfer all links to my own (i know how), and go step by step compiling it using their existing MAKE using TeamViewer or Skype, i can share my screen, or just follow your instructions (i do not understand what is written in MADE since have zero experience. I asked in this groups about MAKE numerous times but no one used it with FTN95). I will pay your local shop for good whiskey Smile

Last edited by DanRRight on Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:05 am; edited 2 times in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running it 'blindly' first in ftn95 C-compiler ?

You have a super-sysadmin who unless I'm mistooken is very au fait with C++ who I'm sure will help you out.

... now I think about it, there is a well-known group of experienced guys who can probably help you out, although they prefer face to face compiling sessions like this one Smile

A sailor went to c-c-c (*)
To C what he could c - c - c
But all that he could c - c- c
Was the bottom of the deep uncompiled c - c - c

(*) that's C++ Smile
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thanks for suggestion. Do these people have experience with multiuser supercomputer system ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: