forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backward compatibility of Salflib.dll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanVardy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Backward compatibility of Salflib.dll Reply with quote

ClearWin software that I have used for over a decade gives me a not-so-nice black screen when I use the latest version of Salflib.dll (dated 29/04/2019) even though it gives pretty patterns and graphs with previous versions – up to the most recent version I had until a few months ago (dated 14/03/2013). The software uses VGA colours. Has support for this been discontinued? If not, where can I find a list of limitations to backward compatibility?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the default colour mode was switched from "vga colours" to "rgb colours" a number of years ago. As far as I recall this is the only change of any significance. See the function USE_RGB_COLOURS@.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, it's the only function that changed that makes old code stop working the way it did since Clearwin+ was introduced, and frankly even then it was long overdue. The other changes increase the functionality or just work better.

There is a handful of Deleted features in the Fortran that you can find in the "What's new in Fortran 95" section of FTN95.CHM

You can of course revert to VGA colours by using the function that Paul mentioned.

Eddie
AlanVardy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grateful thanks to both of you. This tells me the way ahead. I accept that I was born on the Ark and that the world is entitled to move on. How nice to see your name again Paul.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Quote:
even though it gives pretty patterns and graphs with previous versions

... depending on how those graphics are created (from 'primitives' (lines etc... ? or %pl ? or simdem/simfit? or other ?) there has been the introduction of the 'native' %pl enhancements. If %pl is used in the code then there could potentially be issues there too.
Or maybe if the older DBOS routines were used and are maybe now not there.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Silver

I think that you have misunderstood the question. Old 32 bit code using %pl is expected to work as before when using the current salflibc,dll and simpleplot.dll.

simpleplot.dll has not changed at all and %pl[native] adds functionality without disturbing old code.
AlanVardy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the continued suggestions, but fully expect Paul's original advice to fix the problem. I have not yet followed his advice, but will do so soon. Assuming that all goes well, I shall report success and close the post.
You folks should be enjoying sunny Sunday - or visiting Sunny Scotland with that purpose in mind.
AlanVardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that HAL & MARVIN have cooperated. Paul's nice 'n easy fix has solved the problem. So far, I have simply set the default to VGA. The sensible step of converting to RGB has been added to the wish list.

For information, Paul: Whilst following up your suggestion, I have noticed that the help topic for SET_RGB_COLOURS_DEFAULT@ still states that the default is VGA. The topic for USE_RGB_COLOURS@ is spot on.

Thanks again to all.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, you wrote:-

Quote:
You folks should be enjoying sunny Sunday - or visiting Sunny Scotland with that purpose in mind.

Only mad dogs & scot(i)s(h)men go out in the middayd sun Wink LOL
Besides which my kilt's at the cleaners Smile

You'd probably get sunburn while waiting in those passing places for all that horrendous dense traffic to pass by :O)
Could do with a bit of that scottish drizzle from the highlands where I am - we've been sweltering in constant 30-35 deg. for too long now and it's about to peak back up to the low 40's !

It's probably why, in some people's eyes, I ...
Quote:
'... misunderstood the question.'

Anyway, as it turns out mine were indeed un-needed suggestions, and all the better for it.

Glad you got your problem sorted with the minimum of disruption.

Now go for it and look at enhancing the code with the new 'native' %pl.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
AlanVardy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that RGB is behaving itself in my updated code - so it is time to close the post.

Thanks again to each of you. Really helpful for me.

Bye.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... just realised this from Alan's early post ...
Quote:
– up to the most recent version I had until a few months ago (dated 14/03/2013).

.... is somewhat 'arbitrary' in it's definition of 'a few months ago' , being like 12 x 6 = 72 months previous !!! LOL

time passes slowly up in the highlands I know, biut ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: