forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simulation software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silicondale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Simulation software Reply with quote

For a new EU research project, I need to find suitable simulation software to model a robotic 'ecosystem' producing minerals from an underground mine. I already have the software to model the 3D geology, but need to marry it with a suitable discrete-event simulation system to model the operations over time - and produce an animation to show the results. The current front-runner is GPSS/H, but also looking at Arena, MATLAB/Simulink and other options. Need to keep the price down (a very limited budget) which probably eliminates MATLAB. Ideally I need a package which plays nice with Fortran. Either callable from, or offers a simple file interface with. Any suggestions?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used FTN95 / Clearwin+ for many years.
From experience, start with a simple %gr screen model and apply animation, via updating the graphic status. It works very well with some simple graphical "icons". You can be very impressed by a simple approach. My simulation uses a fixed time step calculation, with graphics updated every "n" steps. 1 year of 1 minute steps can take a long time !!

As for integrating with "the software to model the 3D geology", this can be difficult, depending on how accessible this package is.

I have modelled material handling systems, from mine conveyors to bulk export ports with 20 berths; the challenge is to provide simple symbols that report the change (flow metres or level of storage in a bin or ship hold).

Give it a go !!

Last edited by JohnCampbell on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
silicondale

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, John - Indeed that is an option, not to use an external simulation package but simply to code the entire simulation in FTN95 and present the animation using Clearwin+ graphics. Integration with the geological model is then not a problem at all, because I have that already in FTN95 ! Designing symbols for the different robotic components isn't too much of a challenge, but as you say, representation of quantities of material moved from A to B would need careful design. And the trickiest part, whatever the software solution, will be capturing the meaning of whatever the robot engineers design!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: