forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Position/Sense the cursor in a %rs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

When entering text data into Excel sheets, it is interesting when excel chooses to complete the data input. Is this what you are attempting to replicate ?
If so, is there any info in Excel to give some tips ?

John
wahorger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Simply stated, yes, that's the intent.

In Excel, however, if you have two strings that match what has been typed, there is no "suggestion" given. Which makes sense since there is an ambiguity. This has caused me some errors in the past - I don't touch type, so I don't see the "fill-in" appear.

For some of my users, the quadrangle name, after a certain point, becomes unique. For example HANDSHOE and HANDISH become unique when the 5th character is typed.

For people like me who cannot touch type, it makes little difference since we won't see the "fill-in" as we type. I'll type the whole name each time. But for others, it will/might.

I'll need to "roll out" a new version for testing of this human interface change to see if the variants to entry actually make a difference to anyone, or if simpler is indeed always better.

BTW, once a name has been entered, it will remain throughout the remainder of the session until changed by the user. No matter where it is used. This saves the most time possible by not having to enter identifying information more than required.

Bill
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Having idled away several hours toying with your problem, it occurred to me that I had never done anything of the sort. It dawned on me why this morning as I contemplated the tiles in the bathroom.

Rather than pick a square by name, I would draw the grid of squares on the screen in a %gr region, and invite the user to pick one with the mouse pointer. If there were too many squares to resolve individuals, I might either block-select a region (click-n-drag) or accept a click and select an appropriate number of squares around it, Then, I would display that subset, and invite a new pick.

You can get a zoom effect by redrawing the whole grid repeatedly, changing the scale factor each time - on my PC I have to use a timer otherwise I don't see the intermediate steps.

You did say you were open to new ideas.

Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, what a novel concept! I'll take a deeper look at this to see if it will work for one of the larger data sets (won't fit in a %ls).

Thanks,
Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: