forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inconsistency at drawing part 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FK_GER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Inconsistency at drawing part 2 Reply with quote

Another problem!
Please have a look on the two draws, especially on the blue dash-dot-dot-lines.
Both are done with the same program, only an other example.
The upper draw is correct. But in the lower draw some blue dash-dot-dot-lines are done falsely. Why??

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I would need to have the code and the data in order to comment.

It is interesting that you are able to do so much with %pl which started out as a basic graph plotting feature.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FK_GER ...... good to see you're making advances with your program since your problemes of a few months ago.

It seems obvious to me that either there's the wrong definition of the line style for those 5 lines or so in the second example, or the lines are being drawn twice, once dot-dashed and once solid.

As Paul said, without the actual code we can't haìelp with the diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure it must be something in the code and not a bug in clearwin.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
FK_GER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I must contradict, that the code has a bug. As said before, both examples are done with same program exactly. A difference exists only in the scaling of the plots, which is chosen by the program dependent on the heigth and and the width of the considered example.
It's incomprehensibly, why at the lower plot the first 4 lines are done correctly and the following lines don't. If there is a bug in the code, all lines must be plotted in the same way.
Here the code for plot-settngs in both cases:
Code:
      CALL winop@("%pl[width=2]")
      CALL winop@("%pl[pen_style=4]")
      CALL winop@("%pl[link=lines]")
      CALL winop@("%pl[Colour=blue]")
      CALL winop@("%pl[symbol_size=3]")
      CALL winop@("%pl[symbol=7]")
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Quote:
It is interesting that you are able to do so much with %pl which started out as a basic graph plotting feature

this may be a pedantic statement, but %pl is still very limited in it's characteristics ...... which is why native %pl was developed, and was slowly making progress until it was turned upside down in it's hammock as it were, and then left to stagnate a bit.
I have an aversion to any philosophy whereby someone having put in so much effort then has the rug pulled unceremoniously from under his advancing pinkies.
With no sign of him being allowed to get back on the treadmill.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FK_GER,
I didn't say there was a bug in your cde I said 'something in the code'.
I referred to bug re- clearwin only.
There's a subtle difference.

The statements you posted can't be the only ones in the code because in each example there are 2 types of line drawn, solid and dot-dashed.

Unless you switch from default line style (which I assume is solid ?) into dot-dashed that is ?

The code for doing the actual plotting of the lines (which probably includes looping somewhere) needs also to be examined to see exactly how the lines are generated

This is why you need to post the whole code (or a reproducer code, but I can imagine in this case it's not so simple) so that there's visibility of the whole sequence not just the setup of the dot-dashed segments.

Imagine for example there's some array numbeing problem and you think you're plotting just the 'solid line segments' but in fact some of the (intended) dashed lines are being plotted as solifìd as well, before the dot-dashed are.
That would give you the result you'r seeing because even if you then plot the dot-dashed lines as required they wouldn't be visible over the already drawn solid lines.

You really do need to post the code.
Is your code very long ? (how many lines in total ?)

You'll need to post the input data too !

Last edited by John-Silver on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convincing myself even more the more I look at your plots.

In th first plot you have x8 solid lines plotted at the top, then x6 dot-dashed lones in the bottom half.

Then in the second plot you have also x8 solid lines at the top, again x6 dot-dashed , but then an additional x4 line segments which appear solid.

Where are those extra x4 lines appear in your array of lines data ?
I'm guessing that they appear BETWEEN those of the top 8 solid and bottom ì6 dashed lines data.
I'm guessing that you switch the lines parameters (the snippeet of code you posted) just ready for the 3 dot-dashed lines to be plotted.

All the data related to the bottom dot-dashed lines need to appear together at the bottom of the ordered data to be plotted so all of them and only them will be plotted dot-dashed.

I might of course just be stanìding on my head in a hammock here and be completely wrong ! In which case I apologise for wasting your time and brain cells in trying to understand what I just tried to say.

P.S. I've PM'd you about posting the code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: