forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SIMFIT - Fit for Purpose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: SIMFIT - Fit for Purpose? Reply with quote

SIMFIT looks very complete.

I'm (sort of) comitted to Native %pl for basic plotting.
Despite it's current idiosyncracies (which I'm sure will be ironed out soon:) it has a certain simplicity which appeals, and the distinct advantage of being directly integrateabe into a %gr window.

For other more 'advanced' ploting capabilities (3D, surface plotting, etc .....) however there's a 'hole' in the ftn95 armoury.
While waiting for %pl bug-ironing to advance, I've messed around a bit with SIMDEM to look at the fundamental capabilities of SIMFIT.
It looks quite complete. Especially if you want high level data analysis, interpolation capabilities to boot.
However it's effectively a 'stand-alone' option. It opens in it's own window, and is festooned with it's own menu buttons.
This may be ok for some 'one shot plot' user-interactive applications but doesn't have a level of integration which would make it very impressive for more general application.

In reply to my own question in the post title the answer is a resounding ..... YES ..... more than fit for purpose ... DEPENDENT on how you want to do your plotting and how far you need it integrating into %gr controls !

Has anyone on the forum any experience in actually using SIMFIT 'in anger' for anything and what feedback about what has impressed / deceived you about it can you give?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A modest 27 views (as of 5/10/2018) to date and NO comments.
Does this mean that nobody currently uses SIMFIT/SIMDEM ?
Are the 27 people interested enough to view the post hoping that it will become more integrated into Clearwin +?

Quetions, Questions, Questions.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And especially frustrating because probably 20 are my hits, also looking to see if anyone answered!

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn I forgot that Eddie !
so the other 27 are my hits checking if anyone hd mde comments !

Silverfrost Admin - is there any way to see a list of the 'views' of a particular post, by a group setting somewhere ?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who controls the SIMDEM source code, who supports it, can Silverfrost or even users modify anything in it? If SIMDEM authors control it what will happen when they abandon (stop support or retire) the product?

These questions arise because we do not need one more lemon like Simpleplot which had non-fixable bugs since the source code was not available to Silverfrost while the SP authors stopped support and retired.
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.simfit.org.uk/simdem.html
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simfit source is available on the Simfit website.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. We just need the owner's confirmation that all SIMDEM sources for its DLLs can be compiled using users' own compilers and are and will be freely available or at least given to Silverfrost for their modifications.

Then Silverfrost has everything to kick the B of Matlab by creating graphics utility something like Universal Grapher to make all possible plots with just one single line of Fortran code.

To plot basic XY, 3D, Surface plot or histogram the user will just need to provide the filename for the Settings File, Data Array and its Dimension. Like here
Code:
call UGrapher ('Func_f_E.set', Arr(:,: ), M, N,')

or
Code:
i=winio@('%ug[settings='Func_f_E.set', Arr(:,: ), M, N,')

All the settings (names of axis, font sizes, data limits etc) then have to be done inside the plotter by clicking on the corner of the plot like here after which the Settings menu will popup saved automatically into Settings File "Func_f_E.set"

If user will need dynamic changes every time the plotting takes place in the running code then the user will add i=winop@ lines (like with current native %pl) which will override the settings in the Settings File. Cool? Fortran needs simple but professional plotting utility. This utility could be made universal for all existing Fortran compilers similar to how Clearwin+ was ported to them.

In the design of such UGrapher would be important to have the possibility to plot multiple graphs on the same window to create complex GUIs with many plots and controls (like airplane dashboard). BTW, I can make complex GUIs with my own graphics utilities all 100% written in FTN95 and OpenGL, but all looks not as simple as i'd wish, i mean, everything is far from one single line calling Sad because when i started developing them i did not know about Matlab

Last edited by DanRRight on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terms of the license agreement Dan:-
https://www.simfit.org.uk/license.pdf#page=1

Basically you can do what you want with it so long as any modded code is made freely available to others too.
Thus anything SIMFIT-derived should be self-contained in a module or dll, so that it's only THAT which has to be freely available (NOT the whole core program, which would CALL the mod/ddl.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

How have you generated the example above? Is this an example of using %pl with a pop-up menu to edit the features you have listed, or a mock-up of where you are heading ?
If it exists, this is an impressive development for %pl that looks to be very useful.
Is there an example code that could be linked ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: