forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad SLINK64 diagnostics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Bad SLINK64 diagnostics Reply with quote

When compiling numerous fortran source files using BAT file method and at the end SLINK64 them together, the linker does not detect missing OBJ file if one of source files had error. Linker reports the same message "Creating executable file FILENAME.exe" as if all was OK and just does not produce any EXE files.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a note that this needs checking out.
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen this happen, and it would help if Dan would post the contents of his batch file.

If the linker command in the batch file explicitly contains the name of an OBJ file that is not present, the linker will abort with a message immediately, without producing an EXE. If the linker command specifies *.OBJ, an EXE is produced but a message about undefined external symbols is issued; the EXE will start running but issue a pop-up and quit when one of the missing routines is called.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After creating all obj files from the Fortran source files 1.for .... 50.for the link command is

Code:
slink64  1.obj 2.obj 3.obj 4.obj 5.obj 6.obj 7.obj ... 50.dll /windows /file:Run.exe >RunLinkComments

Yes, the linker aborts if some of these OBJ files are missing. Unfortunately the hint of quick aborting i of course do not notice because SLINK64 goes in BAT file after all these 50 compilations.

But even if SLINK64 aborts i'd still expect even in this case that it better create comments file RunLinkComments (like it does when everything is OK) but it does not create it and i have no clue that bad thing happened and where.

Would be still better if
1) SLINK64 created RunLinkComments and
2) inform which OBJ file is missing.

Instead right now i have to check all compilation comments for all my 1.for, 2.for etc source files and find which failed to compile

The 32 bit SLINK is doing better job here. It stops BAT file and asks "Terminate BAT job /Y/N ?" and you clearly see that something is wrong and
it creates comment file RunLinkComments with the message *** Could not open: 3.obj"
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I am not sure if I understood what you meant and what you expected slink64 to do.
If you redirect the output of slink64 to file RunLinkComments then you will not see it unless you open file RunLinkComments (which should contain the error message you are interested in).

What I do in such a situation (when compiling several sources and linking an exe file) is redirecting the complete output (including error messages) of any tool I'm interested in into one log file and then analysing the log file with respect to possible errors.

In a batch file, say x.bat, you could something like
Code:

@echo off

setlocal
set LOGFILE=x.log

ftn95 file1.for > %LOGFILE% 2>&1
ftn95 file2.for >> %LOGFILE% 2>&1

slink64 file1.obj file2.obj /file:Run.exe >> %LOGFILE% 2>&1

endlocal

Executing x.bat creates a file x.log, which contains possible error messages. E.g.
Code:

***Object file file1.obj does not exist

You could use a filter to search x.log for the sequence "***", e.g. the find command. If everything was ok, then no "***" should appear in x.log.

Regards,
Dietmar
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another issue in this context: slink64 does not mark resource files (e.g. files of the form *.res) as loaded although they have been.

The following command creates file load_res.exe successfully
Code:

slink64 load_res_64.obj load_res_64.res /file load_res.EXE

. Here load_res_64.obj and load_res_64.res have been created by means of the 64 bit variants of ftn95 and src. The output of the latter command is

Code:

[SLINK64 v2.03, Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd. 2015-2018]
Loading c:\ds\samples\salford_8.30\help_system\salford64\load_res_64.obj
Creating executable file load_res.EXE

. Now renaming load_res_64.res to load_res_641.res and executing the command mentioned above again results in
Code:

[SLINK64 v2.03, Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd. 2015-2018]
***Resource file load_res_64.res does not exist

showing that slink64 tries to load the res file.

Regards,
Dietmar
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietmar,
From the first glance I don't see principal differences in my way versus yours, I do all the same, with minor difference is that I prefer not to create one log file but create each for each Fortran file
Code:
FTN95 1.for >compile1log
FTN95 2.for >compile2log
and separate one for linker errors, see my post above. Otherwise the megatons of comments and warnings in my case will be unmanageable even with automatic search patterns with ***. Yet I do not see that slink64 reports ansent obj file while slink clearly reports it. And additionally slink stops bat file in case if error so you will notice that for sure.

With 64 bit linker I missed infinite times the compilation errors and used older exe until I started to delete all older exes and logs at the beginning of bat file. Smile Smile

I will then rephrase my previous message: 32 bit and 64 bit linkers have to be synchronized with the way they handle and report errors, create EXE file, name RES file and manage BAT file execution in case of errors. I find that 32 bit linker was doing more reasonable things then 64 bit one so the additional tricks from programmers side to see the errors will be unnesessary
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Place a del run.exe at the start of you build.bat file.

I actually use:
del %program%.exe
del *.mod
del *.obj

(is run.exe a good name to use ?)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Are you using v2.03 of SLINK64?
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I am afraid I do not understand why you blame the linker slink64 because slink64 does abort if object files are missing (as you said and which coincides with my experience).

So I think it is the batch file containing the slink/slink64 commands which might cause a problem (I did not yet understand what the problem is in your opinion). It is like mecej4 said: it would help if you posted the batch file.

I use bat files for linking most of my 64 bit applications. I could not reproduce your problem: after having removed an object file needed and executing the link batch file, it stops with the lines "Cntrl-C" and "Terminate BAT job /Y/N ?" as expected. And as I redirect the output of slink64 to an error file within the bat file, I see the "Could not open" error message in the error file.

Note: the "Cntrl-C" comes from slink/slink64 in case of error. ftn95 and scc do not produce a "Cntrl-C" in case of error. You would normally check the outcome of a utility by means of variable ERRORLEVEL. If ftn95/scc is successful, then command ERRORLEVEL is 0, if is unsuccessful then ERRORLEVEL is 1. If slink/slink64 is successful, then ERRORLEVEL is 0. However, if it is not successful, ERRORLEVEL is -1073741510.

Now, if slink64 is called from within the batch file, the batch file pauses with the terminate question because of the "Cntrl-C". If you answer yes, the batch stops, however, if you answer no, then the batch continues. You could make use of this by adding a code sequence
Code:

if not "%ERRORLEVEL%" == "0" (
  echo ERROR %ERRORLEVEL% in link
) else (
  echo link successful
)

directly after the slink64 call in your batch file to display the outcome of the linking step of your batch file.

Regards,
Dietmar
DietmarSiepmann

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

in a line of my last entry the string "command ERRORLEVEL" should read "ERRORLEVEL" only.

Regards,
Dietmar
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dietmar
I posted all major components of batch file above, the real one is too large to fit here.

Again, my post was about different behavior of SDBG64 vs SDBG. It should be the same.

SRC outputs and syntax in SDBG64/SDBG have to be synchronized too. If this is not possible or not desirable then it has to be explained why.

After that behaviors synchronized or failed to be synchronized by some reasons it has any sense to do any workarounds.

/* My batch files are large and numerous and making them more complex due to necessity keeping both 32 and 64 bit compilations just adds me problems. The problems arise from the code size scaling. Even batch files became very long with time with their numerous exclusions and adjustments. Easy to forget something in long long sheets. If before with small codes the errors were causing loss of just seconds, minutes and may be a day, then today with large code sizes I lose days and weeks. Even up to a month few times.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resource compiler SRC has not needed any changes for 64 bits. It has always been able to produce 32 bit .obj files and generic .res files.

SLINK64 has been designed to accept the generic .res form of output from SRC.

The result is that for 64 bits, /r is required on the SRC command line and the .res result is loaded via "lo" in SLINK64.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extension of SRC for 64 bit is different, not the obj like it was before. If this is important, I'll gladly learn, but if not I'd for example prefer not to mess with subtle differences in res and obj no one will remember, will be less exclusions and at the end errors if there will be just one or another but not two. That already caused me losing a day and asking about that in this group.

There exist good analogy for that: who wins in the wars? Those nations which have language where average commands are shorter. Average length of commands: Japanese and German 10+, English 5 and Russian 3.2 symbols. Shorter commands - less they're error prone.

I feel that recent decade my performance dropped several times, small things now take not hours but a week and I make so many errors and forget so many details that this caused me to check myself with all my friends and eventually with the doctor Smile. After no one noticed anything I tend to accept the old theory I did not believe all my life that performance of programmer drops dramatically with the problem size, I thought with time your experience is growing and you should do things faster and faster, but this does not actually helps much. ...Here any irregularity in the compiler for example become a source of much larger scale loss of time.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the SRC difference in generated file extension ... 32bit SLINK picks up the appropriate extension (no need to specify it (that's what it shows in the documentation in examples .

does the same occur with SLINK64 (does it pick up the .res automatically without needing to specify it on the command line ?

I would expect it to (for consistency), but comments by mecej4 on the beta 279 release post seem to indicate otherwise

Dan, Japanese or chinese is the top languag for brevity.

Did you know that they both have a single (ONE) letter symbol which represents a whole %pl command with all parameters included ? :O)
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: