forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

%ww[casts_shadow]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: %ww[casts_shadow] Reply with quote

Paul,

I wonder if you could take a quick look at the %ww option casts_shadow
please. I have a clear recollection that in Windows XP it was translucent, but since Windows 7 it has been a very solid black. It's not 'mission critical'.

In Windows 10, the drop shadow disappears when you move the program window but reappears when movement stops. The Window anyway has a sort of translucent drop shadow to which the Clearwin+ shadow is an add-on. Obviously the disappear-reappear business doesn't happen if the window is volatile and has no caption.

Eddie

Code:

WINAPP
      OPTIONS (INTL, DREAL)
      PROGRAM DS
      INCLUDE <WINDOWS.INS>
      IA=WINIO@('%ca[test drop shadow]%ww[toolwindow,casts_shadow]'//
     &   '%cn%10bt[OK]')
      END
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

OK. Thanks. I will take a look.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,
I ran on my Windows 7 system (ftn95 v8.3+dlls23) and it has the same behaviour as you describe for Windows 10
I also removed the definition as a 'toolwindow' on a hunch it might be affecting somethingbut that didn't change anything.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

The change happened after XP, and when I have access to an old XP computer I'll try it again. It was originally a lot prettier than it is now, but as I said, it isn't a showstopper.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, I run on a windows 7 system with those 'Aero Themes' which include transparency and rounded corners.

I got the behaviour descrivėbed, with black shadow) .

I tried switching to a 'Windows classic' theme and the shadow is a medium grey !

Conclusion - the black shadow you see on Windows 10 is system dependent (in colour) and not a Clearwin choice.

The disappearing shadow behaviour is present in either case.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. The disappearing shadow while moving doesn't bother me, but the dense black does - at an aesthetic level. It only crept into one of my programs when pop-up menus didn't work (now fixed), but a volatile, borderless, drop-shadowed, window allows more options than a pop up menu, and so the original workaround stayed.

I suppose XP is 'Windows classic'.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is rather 'in-yer-face' the black.
I'd guelės there's little to do about it as it changes with the theme you choose.

No, 'Windows Classic' refers to the desktop 'theme' I tried out, which gave the grey shadowing.

It should be on Windows10 too - right click on destop - personalise - then scroll down (if it's like Win 7) and look for 'Aero themes' and then 'Windows Classic' under 'Basic and High Contrast Themes'.

I guess it depends exactly how the drop shadow was implemented as to whether or not it's hard-linked to the system colour scheme or not and if he can make it 100% clearwin defined.

Last edited by John-Silver on Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

Just for the record, I did not write %ww nor indeed a large majority of winio@.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies - My mistake in thinking it was a relatively new addition - now Corrected - see above.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had another look, and as I'm using the drop shadow with some volatile windows, I can probably draw a translucent grey box offset right and down, before the window itself (written in XOR and removed in the same way), but I still think that the effect with the standard casts_shadow is rather crude. The work-around will be subject to a lot of issues with font size (the dpi business). I may not even need to remove a self-drawn drop shadow as I can simply redraw the underlying screen contents.

In any case, the status quo can be tolerated - I did say it wasn't 'mission-critical' as a hint that I wasn't expecting Paul to drop everything or waste a lot of time on it.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie

I have managed to change the colour of the shadow from black to grey.
It is still rather dark so I have reduced the width of the shadow by 50%.
You get the grey colour when using a white brush so that's the best I can do with the existing coding.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

THat's great. Thanks.

Regards

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dome Paul, thanks.

Quote:
You get the grey colour when using a white brush

? what does that mean exactly ? (the white brush bit)

Paul as I mentioned above, currently using Aero themes in Win7 I get the same black shadow as Eddie, but if I change theme to a 'Classic' one the shadow goes to a grey.
So how will starting with a grey shadow affect the appearance with other themes ? In other words what is the interaction of theme choice with what's in clearwin.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Windows XP style is shown here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bopeqlf1awxa6a/ds.bmp?dl=0

and is a sort of chequerboard pattern. This has the sense of transparency as the background shows through. My memory was broadly correct, but not perfect.

Eddie
EKruck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Win7 64 bit %ww[casts_shadow,... creates a nice grey window in the right size, however, in a wrong position 1,1 on screen, and only for a short moment - may be a tenth of a second.
Code:
    IX = ClearWin_Info@ ('SCREEN_WIDTH') / 2 - 270
    IY = ClearWin_Info@ ('SCREEN_DEPTH') / 3 - 50
    MA = WINIO@ ('%bm[StartBitmap]&')
    MA = WINIO@ ('%sp&', IX, IY)
!    MA = WINIO@ ('%ww[casts_shadow,no_caption,no_maxminbox,no_frame,no_border,topmost]&')
    MA = WINIO@ ('%ww[no_caption,no_maxminbox,no_frame,no_border,topmost]&')
    MA = WINIO@ ('%lw',Handle1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: