forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug in 8.3 64bit using Strict Iso /ISO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Bug in 8.3 64bit using Strict Iso /ISO Reply with quote

Unfortunately use of /ISO in the 64 bit compile also changes the default integer kind to 4 (it is 3 without /ISO).

This means the following code won't compile even though it is standard (ISO/ANSI) conforming:

Code:

program main
   integer istatus
   print *, 'default integer kind is =', kind(istatus)
   open(10,file='test.txt', iostat=istatus)
   write(10,'("Hello World")')
   close(10)
end program main

You get the following error, even though istatus is a scaler, default-kind integer:

error 259 - Scalar, default-kind, INTEGER variable expected for the IOSTAT keyword
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. This was totally unexpected. It relates to very old code in FTN95 (the code is present in v4.9). The change to kind=4 for /iso has now been removed and the false error report for IOSTAT has also been fixed. These changes will be in the next release of FTN95.
davidb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

I never really understood why you wanted to change the default integer kind to 4 in 64 bit mode. Perhaps it was to support non-standard wider pointers but users who need this could just have declared using kind=4 explicitly.

Use of iostat=i should work when i is a default integer (declared as integer i). Ideally the compiler should also cope with cases where the user changes the default integer type to 4 (or any integer kind which is large enough to store the codes). I am happy that it works with a default integer kind of 3.

But I am digressing.

I have found some more issues with v 8.3, which refuses to run my ISO compliant codes (unlike 7.2, 8.05 which will run). However, I am struggling to put together a simple illustration. I will post again when I know more.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

davidb wrote:
I never really understood why you wanted to change the default integer kind to 4 in 64 bit mode.

I am of the opposite view. Shouldn't the default integer kind be able to address the memory being used. We had integer*2 for 16-bit, integer*4 for 32-bit so integer*8 for 64-bit.
Admittedly, if the default integer was changed, it would have caused a lot more problems for moving between 32 and 64-bit versions of code, but more general use of integer*8 is coming. Certainly the Fortran Standard requirement for default integer, real and double precision needs more thought. Should we insist on having 16-byte reals in a 64-bit compiler.
I think SIZE is a good example of being on both sides of the fence. There is definitely a conflict between useability and code compliance. I think the standard syntax for SIZE in a 64-bit environment needs rethinking.
There is certainly a greater need for checking the kind of integer being selected/used in 64-bit code.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: