forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error Levels of SLINK vs SLINK64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Error Levels of SLINK vs SLINK64 Reply with quote

While compiling using batch file SLINK terminates batch file if some OBJ file does not exist. The SLINK64 in this case just issues warning. Is this SDBG64 issue or I forgot to adjust something?
mecej4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can modify your batch file and call SLINK64 only if all the necessary OBJ files are available.
Code:

@ftn95 xyz.f90 /64
@if not exist xyz.obj goto noobj
slink64 xyz.obj
@goto done
:noobj
@echo No xyz.obj file available to link
:done
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This behaviour with SLINK64 has now been corrected for the next release.
Batch files will terminate in the expected way.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mecej4 and Pail. Fixing SLINK64 will allow to use 32bit batch files for 64bits as is. I typically use both methods for 32bit compilation (with IFs/GOTOs and just with SLINK own cancelling) but in some cases canceling BAT file method is a bit more preferable as it is shorter and simpler: over the whole code lifetime one of my BAT files already reached the length of more 400 lines long as there are a lot of files to compile and link and few others are not much shorter...

Mecej4:
1) how to issue the command so that the batch will be cancelled for better visibility of failed linking? Currently echo method is not different then SLINK64 own warning.
2) remind me what for @ is used? Do not see difference with or without it

Last edited by DanRRight on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, wikipedia says: "The @ symbol at the start of any line prevents the prompt from displaying that command as it is executed." and ECHO OFF turns them off permanently, so @ECHO OFF won't show anything ...

Eddie
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clue Eddie. I have been looking for documentation of .bat files, but never found what I wanted. Any suggestions ?

I have longed for improved flexibility for program input when running from a bat file. I can vaguely recall from the Apollo O/S, it had the facility to pipe in commands from the .bat file, rather than another file, something like (I have forgotten the exact syntax):

program << $
input line 1
input line 2
<< $

This would take the 2 lines of input and then the last "<< $" would end input from the .bat file.

The other problem I have is when using " program < commands.txt" is that when commands.txt is exhausted, I get some sort of end of file error and can't return to standard input.

Anyone got any clues on how to better handle program input when running in a .bat file ?

It is these simple little things that I find annoying about Microsoft O/S. (like how Notepad won't display unix format text files !!)
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I found it in one on Wikipedia.

I don't use batch files to run programs, except compiling. I'm afraid that I never liked 'question and answer' programs, and if it is so old it runs with input and output files, I live with that, but really the answer is a Windows paradigm interface.

Anything that runs for hours probably needs to be compiled with the fastest compiler and run on the fastest computer you have, and if you put any conversation in it, you are likely to return from a long weekend on Bondi Beach to see a message 'Waiting for input' that appeared 30 seconds after you left the office!

Seriously, there's more on batch files on Wikipedia than I ever dreamed of!

Eddie
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... just like my printer, which informs me that I'm not using genuine Epson cartridges (at nearly 20x the price) and I need to press continue.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Time To Think these days ...

Eddie, you had me in tears with your '30 seconds after leaving the office' tale Smile . Oh so true.
And the reactions around the office when Monday morning comes around of course ! "What idiot did that ... blah blah blah " LOL

Reminds me of when I used to work in Portsmouth and out 'plotting facility' was in Chelmsford (I joke not) and plots were processed there and were then courriered just twice a week to the office. Many a 'YES !' and 'Oh MY GOD!' could be heard in equal measures 3 minutes after the plots arrived ! Smile

Your tale is just about as bad as running NASTRAN jobs over the weekend which used to hog resources or create chaos (like everyone being told to cancel their jobs 5 minutes before leaving so a single electronic box with half a million nodes (I joke not - and I'm talking 1998-ish) could continue running.

Or the job-record - 2 weeks runtime because the person decided to run 100-odd loadcases all as non-linear even though only 1 was.
Both were co-incidentally female perpretrators - don't let it for me to be jusgemental Wink

I'm sure we of a certain age have also had the 'IT bloke forgot to load the tape' for the WE run too Smile - always reminds me of Benny Hill in Torino that one Smile

The best was in the 80's, when we had to budget and pay out of project funds to IT dept. for mainframe computing.
Cue thermal engineer Monday morning arriving and picking up his 3 foot high output filr. Take to desk and 30 seconds later the whole office reeling under qa tirade of f-lip deaqr me dan-it (or similar Wink .... when he found his amazon forsìest and a half of results consisted of nothing (I mean nothing) but ZEROs. Some story about having not set any initial temperatures or loaded it with zero temperatures or something like that. Anyway, did we laugh ... and he did get his 3 grand re-imboursed ... eventually ... so he could re-run it !

there's another tale of a bloke running a satellite structural static analysis using STARDYNE at a very expensive bureau in London (off covent garden) and when he got the results he wasn't sure about their integrity so he picked up the box of cards and went down to London again to re-run it ! I went there once myself - nice jolly - take train Stevenage to Picadilly Circus - hand cards over, wait 2 or 3 hours for job to run (well they were 2000 node full satellite models which rewuired the fastest mainframe possible Wink,then a quick jaunt around covent garden area before heading back to catch the train. Lots of productive thinking time.

There's a lot to be said for these 'moments of leisure' we used to have as a result though, used to give one time to think (remember that concept) instead of the current trend for a number of years of number crunching far more numbers than remotely necessary on the hurdy gurdy and then drowning under post-processing results and writing bleedin' reports ... where have all the secretaries and typing pools gone ? ... gone gone ... far away.

Hence my signature below ...... Smile

P.S. - I have the same nonsense with Canon and their cartridges ... except they don't tell to to press 'Continue' they tell you to change the cartridge or your printer is highly likely to blow/up. I say there should be a worldwide campaign to inform people just to keep going back and buying a new cheapo printer everytime the cartridge needs changing !
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Your experiences match mine. However, I can tolerate the Epson ticking me off for using cheapo cartridges, but after all, they are £20 for 5 sets of 6 inks with 5 spare blacks, whereas the Epsons are just short of £80 for 1 set of 6. The driver knows when cheap inks are used, and the driver is sneaky, like printing twice as many copies as you asked for - just to run the inks down. The driver also uses more ink if non-genuine cartridges are used and double-sided printing is selected (so the ink bleeds through), but not on every page, just to annoy, and behaves most badly if you have expensive photo paper loaded (or a printable CD). I'm afraid that Epson has seen the last of my money.

It is a networked printer, but refuses to connect if there is anti-virus running.

More to the point, the driver interface makes all sorts of sloppy programming things. Like you have to select the 3rd radio button in the sequence 'Print all', ;Print current page' and 'Print pages' - where the latter also has a text box to input the range, instead of letting to go straight to the text box and moving the radio button for you. (But my Lexmark laser doesn't delete something highlighted, so doing a Windows standard thing with the 'copies' box gives you 301 copies when you asked for 30.

Tell me how the Lexmark cost £100, but four toner bottles cost £200? If I could only lift the thing and knew where to dispose of it I'd have a new printer each time!

On the non-linear front, if something I'm analysing indicates a hint of overstress, I never bother with non-linear - I redesign it until it doesn't

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> 64-bit All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: