forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More %pl questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silicondale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: More %pl questions Reply with quote

I have found a problem with %pl x_max setting.
If I try to set x_max to any value above the actual data range, it uses my value quite happily But if I set x_max to a value below the actual data maximum, it ignores my supplied value and uses its own. This doesn't seem to happen with y_max where it always accepts my y_max whether above or below the actual data maximum.

3 sample plots.
(1) I don't set any x y limits
(2) y_min=40 y_max=110
(3) y_min=40 y_max=110 and x_min=7000 x_max=7500
(x_max effect is the same with or without the y_min y_max settings)

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

%pl has moved on since the last release so it might be simpler to wait to see if the problem a already been resolved.
silicondale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the quick reply, Paul ! Any target date for the next release yet?
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by 'next release' I assume that is v8.3 ?

what's happening with Personal release of v8.2 ?

From comments made around the time v8.1 came out
it was clear at the time (to me anyway) that any beta updates (the dlls updates) weren't going to be released until the perso version was at v8.2 also. A logical comment at the time to avoid continual confusion and allow input to bug-fixing from paid AND personal version users.

If I understand correctly
Quote:
"... %pl has moved on since the last release ... "

means that %pl development has actually been ongoing since the v8.2 release while we were thinking it was stopped - is that right ?

If so that would appear to contradict several mentions that %pl was 'put on the backburner' because of other activities.

I'm now even more confused (and frustrated) waiting to see if even the existing updates to %pl (the v8.2 ones) olve some of the fundamental shortcomings.
Now I'm faced with the possibility that maybe in parallel with a v8.2Perso release we'll then have a v8.3 full version with more changes which will remain 'invisible' to me for another 4 months ... or even more !

We're now 4 months down the line since v8.2 was released.
How much longer for the personal update ?

Maybe I've just misinterpreted the signs.
An explanation of what's gone/going on with %pl would be appreciated.

Also, I didn't get the
Quote:
"...so it might be simpler to wait to see if the problem (h)a(s) already been resolved."

Isn't it clear if Steve's problem will be solved by something in these changes in an upcoming release then ?
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
silicondale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to give us access to a beta version of the next CW+ DLL as has been done once or twice before? I for one would be happy to test the new features and provide feedback!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am not able to respond to these questions with any useful information except to note that...

Work on %pl is ongoing but intermittent. There are one or two known issues that are outstanding.

The pre-release of DLLs for testing has been suspended for the time being because potential problems of incompatibility.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

It is unfortunate that the pre-release of .dll's has been suspended.
I thought the beta releases of Ver 8.0 worked well.
I think most long term users of FTN95 know how to run multiple versions of FTN95 (I have 22 alternative versions available on my development pc going back to 5.01, some which probably no longer work)
I am sure there would be a few experienced users (not including me) that could help with testing %pl

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Hopefully it won't be long before we can resume this service.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Work on %pl is ongoing but intermittent. There are one or two known issues that are outstanding.

This is good positive news.
I understand that efforts cannot be 100% on any particular feature, but what might be useful would be to give periodical updates.
For example in the particular case of %pl: which previously identified problems have been adressed already ? -what are the known issues outstanfėding a fix ?
It would also be enlightening for Personal Version users to have access to the .enh files when a version is released to paying customers so as to have visibility of what has already been fixed/newly included.

Quote:

The pre-release of DLLs for testing has been suspended for the time being because potential problems of incompatibility

Dare one ask what potential problems and of incompatability of what ?

I agree 100% with JohnC about the way v8 and v8.1 dlls worked extremely well for both SF & users.
''Computers (HAL and MARVIN excepted) are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especially input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: