forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB Reply with quote

Hi,
I downloaded the personal version for evaluation purposes, but am unable to run the example applications (or compile my own projects for that matter).
The error that I recieve is -

Compiling file: calculator.f95
FTN95.EXE "C:Program FilesSalford SoftwareFTN95demoNETFortranCalculatorCScalculator.f95" /NO_BANNER /DEBUG /SINGLE_THREADED /FPP /CLR /VS7 /DELETE_OBJ_ON_ERROR /ERROR_NUMBERS /UNLIMITED_ERRORS /BINARY "DebugNETcalculator.dbk"
Compiler output:
C:Program FilesSalford SoftwareFTN95demoNETFortranCalculatorCScalculator.F95(39) : fatal 1129 - Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB

There were compile errors, no link performed

Does anyone have any advise?

Best regards,

/Jonas
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB Reply with quote

From reading your post you seem to have attempted more than one compilation of a program. This problem has occaisonally popped up with the very first compilation attempted, but I have not heard it as a problem in a long time. I am afraid I will have to give you a stock response for this issue therefore - could you try a full uninstallation and reinstallation of FTN95, and could you also make sure you have administrative rights when installing, it is likely there has been a problem with registering the runtime assembly that for some reason the installer did not pick up on. If this fails, could you provide some more information about your setup, OS, version and .NET framework version.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB Reply with quote

Jonas,

Installing everything gives you a steep learning curve. I found Plato hard to get used to. If you open a "DOS box" (i.e. the "command prompt" operation) you can drive the compiler manually. If you write (for example) at the DOS C> prompt:

FTN95 -LGO calculator.f95

(-LGO means "compile, link, load and run" or "load and go")

and it works, then your package has installed correctly (probably) and your difficulty with the system is likely to be getting the right switches set in Plato. I'm not sure if calculator.f95 works if you do this, or if it has a number of routines in separate files to compile and link, but you could write a "Hello World" program to try - something that should work - and try that. For example:

PROGRAM HELLO
WRITE(*,*) 'Hello World'
STOP
END

Regards

Eddie

PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB Reply with quote

Eddie

Your suggestion opens up a number of issues.

1) For .NET you need /CLR on the command line.

2) The IDE in question is Visual Studio rather than Plato because Plato does not have or access a .NET debugger.

3) A command line test would tell you if it is an IDE problem or an installation problem but the latter is more likely.

4) The question of whether or not to use an IDE is a matter of personal preference.
Old hands tend to go for the command line approach.
Students over the last 20 years or so have got used to using IDEs in their college courses.
Personally I would always aim to use an IDE for both teaching and personal use.

Regards

Paul
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Perhaps I hadn't identified every step properly.
However, running anything from the command line rules out the (strong) prospect that one simply doesn't understand the IDE - it wasn't a commendation to permanently switch to the command line. The simplest application is a Hello World thing that works in a DOS box and is compiled and run with a one-liner command line including 'LGO', and if that runs, the chances are that the installation worked. If the one-liner doesn't work, then one needs to suspect that the installation failed.

I wasn't suggesting that it was so much an "IDE problem" as a "user of the IDE problem" - a category I fit into very neatly myself. (Yes, old hand ... or rather old dog: new trick!). I reckon "user problem" is about 1000 times more likely than "software problem" with "hardware problem" less likely still - if my experience of myself is anything to go by.

Regards

Eddie
yxww

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB Reply with quote

I have encountered the same error.

When used in command prompt, such " FTN95 *.f95 /link /clr ", the process is successful. But in VS 2003, the compilation failed with "*** Unable to communicate with FTN95LIB".

Anyone can help?
Thank you

Yang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: