forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems in FTN95 PE 8.30 with Visual Studio 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Problems in FTN95 PE 8.30 with Visual Studio 2015 Reply with quote

When I create a new Fortran project (FTN95 Application) with FTN95 PE 8.30 in Visual Studio 2015, I get the following errors:

The execution in x64 fails with the message
“C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\System.XML.dll is not an x64 DLL file”.

The .NET linking fails with the error message: “Unable to write to file CheckMate\.NET\runTest94.exe”
The corresponding directories (Checkmate, Debug, Release) should probably be …\NET(without the dot)\.... This error can be corrected manually in the property option under "Miscellaneous". However, this correction must be done for every new project.

None of these errors occurs in Plato.

KL

PS. I have prepared 3 Figures, but how to send them?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback.

The problem about the unwanted dot (produced by the FTN95 plug-in for Visual Studio) is a known issue that (as far as I know) has not yet been fixed.

Are there other issues besides this? I am not clear about this from your post.
KL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Paul, for the quick answer.

Some more details concerning my first error reported:

When I run a Visual Studio 2015 project with the options x64 and (Checkmate, Debug, Release) the linker fails with the following message:
Code:

Linking...

Command line for link:
   slink64.exe /file:"CheckMate\x64\runTest94.exe" "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\System.dll" "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\System.Data.dll" "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\System.XML.dll"  @link.inf

Linker output:
   [SLINK64 v2.01, Copyright (c) Silverfrost Ltd. 2015-2018]
   Loading E:\FTN95\Tests\Test94\runTest94\CheckMate\x64\test94.obj
   ***C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\System.XML.dll is not an x64 DLL file

runTest94 build failed.

This error did definitively not occur in v. 8.10. I have checked an old build file (buildlog.text) and I cannot see a difference in calling slink64. But rerunning this project with v. 8.30/x64 creates the same error as in a new project. I have the latest Windows 10 version on my PC.

Second reported error:
I had reported similar errors with the dot in the path prior to the release of v. 8.10. As far as I remember, I got these errors only with a pre-version of the plugin for VS 2015 but not with v. 8.10.

The plugin "ftn95 for visual studio 2015.msi" on my computer has the date 29.10.2016 11:13 (8.594.432 bytes). Is this the latest one?

Finally, I would like to stress the relevance of having FTN95 in Visual Studio. I would even wish having a FTN95 plugin for Visual Studio 2017.

Many thanks again for your help. Please let me know if I can contribute in any way to a solution.

Best wishes,
Klaus
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a project is first created three .NET DLLs are added and show up in the references part of the project. When compiling for 32-bit (win32 or .NET) this links fine. When you change the project to 64-bit then the 32-bit .NET DLLs cannot be linked and you get the link error. The best way around it is to delete the three references from the project.
KL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed (not deleted) the 3 dlls and in fact, the executables (Checkmate, Debug and Release) are successfully created and run in milliseconds when clicked on them.

In Visual Studio, however, the output is not so pleasant. I see the Silverfrost 64-bit Debugger window (even in Release mode!) and after a while the message

"The application being debugged is running.
Control will return to the debugger when
either a breakpoint or error occurs."

Behind this window is the output. What is the Debugger window in Release mode for? I would expect that such a window -if it is shown at all-disappears as soon as the run is completed.

I would like to add that I have not changed any of the many options, i.e. I have used default options. In addition, I have compared all options with the settings in v. 8.10. The options are identical.
KL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. I just checked several "old" projects, which have not been run with v. 8.30 yet. They all have the 3 dlls in the reference, but I had never to delete them in order to run with x64. So I see your proposal rather as work-around than as final solution.
KL

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the Visual Studio plug-in revised in the meantime? I still have too many problems in Visual Studio 2015 (not in Plato!). Are there any plans to offer the FTN95 plug-in for Visual Studio 2017?

Kind regards,
KL
KL

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Have you checked my remark about the date of the plugin?

The plugin "ftn95 for visual studio 2015.msi" on my computer has the date 29.10.2016 11:13 (8.594.432 bytes). Is this the latest one?

My impression (impression only!) is that in FTN 8.10 the plugin was a newer one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: