forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference for Paper on Best Graphical Presentation Practices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... oh and Tufte's point about ink-density is a good one - no point in having lovely pretty pictures if the quantity of information (data) presented is miserably low.

A good tip I was given n a training course when I first started my first job - I remember seeing concorde for the first time as we were bussed across the airfield to the high-tec (old army buildings !) training facilities at Filton in Bristol, as: "When you write a report (equally applicable to a presentation) do it as if a complete noddy is going to be reading it " !
Sound advice - keep it simple and give em the information in a clear form - any flowery graphics in addition will be a bonus and will keep the project manager happy/confused in equal doses Smile

Last edited by John-Silver on Wed May 08, 2019 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
silicondale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John - I guess I'm now off your list of suspects. Certainly didn't give that link anyway. I've been on other more urgent work the last week or 6 so haven't been following the discussion.

However, I DO have a very useful style guide which I was given while working at CSIRO in Western Australia in 1995-97. It has helped me a lot with producing 'nice' Powerpoint presentations and is also relevant to graphics more generally. Includes guidelines on selection of colour combinations, fonts, annotation, etc. (avoid Comic Sans like the plague!). My copy is on paper but if I track down a digital version, will post it here.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a great additional reference.
These things, being user-preference dependent are also
extremely useful, hope you can find it and scan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: