forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid, I have used FTN95 extensively with Windows 10 (64 bit), both the Home and Prof. versions. I have not experienced the problems that you touch upon.

Let us keep things simple. Take any Fortran program, and compile and link it at the command line with the /debug option. Then, run SDBG.EXE and tell it to load the EXE that was built from your program. Note that Plato is not involved in this. Next, try stepping over a few lines of your program.

What do you observe?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid,

As a possible alternative approach.
I have had problems with some of the local windows within SDBG becoming lost, as their screen address becomes corrupt and is not on the visible screen dimensions. Could your problem be related to not being able to see the response screen ?
I think I deleted sdbg.ini and tried again, although this was with an older version of sdbg. Also check for virtual copies of sdbg.ini as I have also had problems with system protection of this file.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having no any additional problem with Win10 besides being hacked recently (Win10 own antivirus and antispyware misses bugs. Check for viruses using other programs). So this is not much help probably. Besides, though Plato probably became recently very usable and many switch on it, i traditionally compile using tricky command BAT files, use own editor and call debugger directly, not via Plato.
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

During using win 10 and Plato, when I run using "step into" system shows a yellow arrow at each line number and have to click on "step into" again to move down a line. Is there a option to "step into" and then click on run to get the debugger to advance one line? Also, John Campbell suggesting erasing sdbg.ini and try again, where is it located and if I erase, will it automatically be restored? Sid Kraft
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to "step into" (meaning into the first function/subroutine call on the current line) or "step over" (meaning don't step into but advance to the next line of code). If this doesn't work for you then try running SDBG independently of Plato. You can do this by starting SDBG from a command line or by changing the Plato options from the "Options" dialog on the "Tools" menu.

I suggest that you search for sdbg.ini using the Windows Explorer application. It is safe to delete any ini file with this name that you find.
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

Paul: I found SDBG.ini in the Windows System folder, if I erase, you said would be safe. Will it be restored when I again use PLATO or SDBG, Sid Kraft
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It contains your data such as the saved position of the various windows. If your main window has ended up off screen then you won't be able to see it.
Deleting sdbg.ini will revert to the defaults - as it was before first installation.
stfark1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

Paul: Saved sbdg.ini in a file, deleted it from windows, tried to run sdbg again from command prompt and also Plato, would not start, are you sure it can be deleted and will automatically be re-created at startup of sbdg? Good thing that I saved in another file so I could then copy back into the Windows file. Sid Kraft
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there is a different problem with your computer set up. If you had an older version of Windows and FTN95 on it, there could be an SDBG.INI in the Windows system directory. If you then installed Windows 10, the location for SDBG.INI got changed to a subdirectory of C:\Users\username\AppData.

If so, changing the old SDBG.INI in the system directory is not going to help. You have to look in the new location and fix/delete that newer copy of SDBG.INI. The dates of those files should help you to decide which is old and which is new.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid

sdbg.ini is not shipped/installed with FTN95 etc. so sdbg.exe has to default to running without it. It contains user data that can be ignored. The file does not exist in the initial setup. Try installing FTN95 etc. on a virgin machine and check for yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: