forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Model Reply with quote

Have a large Fortran system, have been debugging using "step into" and run. All of a sudden, "step into" does not work, when I do a build and "step into", the system displays the screen that it is starting execution then I get nothing! I thought it was due to the size of the program but I ran a much smaller program and it did the same thing. I am wondering if anyone has ideas about why this is happening. A response will be appreciated. I also tried to just run, without the "step into" command, just execute, seems to work fine Thanks, Sid Kraft
mecej4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to give more particulars (example program, compiler version, OS version).

I tested a simple console project with one file. After creating a new project in Plato (FTN95 8.1), I added an existing fixed format Fortran source file with the main program and one subroutine. I set the target to Debug-Win32, built the project and chose Build->Step Into. Plato opened the source in SDBG and everything looked fine. I stepped over a couple of source lines and watched the local variables change value.

Everything seemed OK!
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

mercej4: Not sure of all of the particulars but I removed the silverfrost module, downloaded the latest version on the website, completely deleted my existing project and re-built, same friking thing, when I try to build and "step into" the system pretends to do, displays all of the entry screens, goes through all of the motions and then NOTHING!!!! I have done nothing other than changed some of the variables in one of the routines, did a re-build and tried to execute using the debug command "step into", strange that all of a sudden the system quit working as it has even after downloading and re-building my system and even a smaller project file. My question to you is what do you need, my uploaded simple project file or? Do not know how you will replicate with your system as opposed to mine, very, very frustrating to say the least. Sid Kraft
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

mercej4 using Win 10, latest updates, Sid kraft
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

mercej4: Getting more frustrated by the minute, now with the new, downloaded Silverfrost, tried to create a new, simple fixed Fortran program and compile, now get the error FTN77 must be on the path, really think that I need a user manual for this system, I am a developer, not a system programmer, have never had so many problems in the past, most seem to be very simplistic but are driving me to drinking - ha!
mecej4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no need to have FTN77 at all. In fact, many of the FTN77 tools do not work (or not properly) in Windows 10.

Assuming that you have FTN95 Version 8.1 on Windows 10, please do the following, and take notes on what you observe, especially about unexpected problems and error messages.

1. Open a command window and run the <FTN95 directory>\fvars.bat. This will set up the path to the compiler and tools.

2. Type the command "Plato". This will open the Plato IDE.

3. Create a new console EXE project, and add your source file to the project. Choose Win32-debug as the current target configuration and build.

4. Choose Build->Step Into (F7). Step over a few lines of source code.

Report your observations before you resort to drink.
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Modulemercj4 Reply with quote

mercj4: Did everything you suggested, in detail, went to compile and build, system responded "FTN77 Not On Path" ??????? what the heck does this mean? Sid Kraft
mecej4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have some old settings from years ago. See if the hints in this old thread help.

<http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=2579>

Do you have FTN77 installed now? Did you, previously?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plato does allow you to use FTN77 in place of FTN95 but FTN95 is the default Fortran compiler used by Plato.

Open up the "Options" dialog from the "Tools" menu and find the check box that relates to using FTN77 in place of FTN95 and switch this off.
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

Paul: I looked at some of the previous comments, thanks to mercej4, and issued the command in "options" use FTN95 rather than FTN77, got around the problem with the path selection. However, I am still plagued with the problem where the "step into" command produces nothing!! when I issue it, it goes through all of the commands as if it is going to work and then, no output prompting. Interesting that when I deleted the Silverfrost program, installed a new downloaded copy and executed, the first time it displayed the tip screen, when I deleted, the "step into" command worked one time. When I came back to do again, it would not work, any ideas on this? Sid Kraft
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid,

I don't know what is going wrong but I suggest that you run SDBG.exe directly, either from a command line or from Windows File Explorer. From a command line you type "SDBG prog.exe" where prog.exe is the name of your executable.
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

Paul: Is there a way that once one starts and execution, i.e. "step into" and the system does not perform correctly to stop execution and return to Plato to redo another build and execute without stopping Plato totally and re-start? With this current problem of executing the "step into" command which does not work, I am continually having to exit Plato and re-start, frustrating to say the least being I am unable to get the "step into" command to work? Sid Kraft
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

Paul: Certainly cannot believe that all of a sudden having so much trouble getting the "step into" command to work. I tried to execute, at your suggestion, by running the module directly from the command line, it runs the program but I have no way of "stepping into" the debugger, what the heck is wrong with this system? I removed the Silverfrost program from my win 10 computer, completely downloaded and rebuilt, re-built my Project file and still experiencing the problem. This problem is not only not working with my large program but also with a single line Fortran program, 5 line of code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something drastically wrong but not sure what! What info do you need to help solve the problem? Sid Kraft
stfark1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

Paul: I surely do not want to migrate all of my Fortran programs to another system as the Silver Frost support has been so good too date. However, do you know of another Fortran system that I can use being I cannot get the solution to this trivial problem that I have? I suspect it has something to do with my using Win 10 as I have had problems in the past with Silver frost and Win 10. I cannot continue to use my program without a debug facility, there is no way to step through the program and get the results of debugging needed. What a shame as the Silverfrost system is superior to anything I have seen. Anyway, any help will be appreciated, Sid Kraft
stfark1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Module Reply with quote

Paul and mecej4: As I suspected, the problem that I am having is a problem with running programs under win 10 with Silverfrost, I re-loaded Win 7 and all works fine. For future reference, win 10 and Silverfrost are a poor mix for anyone using the system. I am uterly shocked and surprised that you guys are still having problems with the Win 10 op sys and Silverfrost, if I can be of any help, let me know, I will upload whatever fortran programs that I have although, it is not with my Fortran system it is a conflict between win 10 and Silverfrsot. As I explained, after using the system several times, all of a sudden, the debug, "step into" proces ceases to function, goes through the motions and then provides no cvommunication to the user. Sid Kraft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: