forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use a debugger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaliuzhkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: How to use a debugger? Reply with quote

Where do I find out about how to use a debugger? I think it would be SDBG because I use Clearwin. I don't have Visual Studio or .NET on my computer.

Also, I do my work with Plato.

So far, I debug using WRITE statements but I'd rather use a run-time debugger.

Thx,

Dan
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) From Plato, select "Debug Win32" or better "CheckMate Win32".
2) From the "View" menu, select "Build toolbar" if this toolbar is not already visible.
3) Use the build toolbar to compile, link and "Continue debugging".
kaliuzhkin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Using Sdbg Reply with quote

Okay, I've progressed a little bit. Using Plato and Ftn95.cfg (see below), I'm able to set things at compilation time so that when I run the compiled program, it runs Sdbg.exe. However, how do I get debugging information?

There are a few windows: what looks like a black command prompt window with heading C:\Program Files (x86)\Silverfrost\FTN95.ver8.10\SDBG.EXE, a Call Stack window, and a Locals Variables window. The Call Stack Window says "status: Program Breakpoint". However, none of these windows take any input. Another window is my source file. The first executable line in the source file has a blinking yellow arrow next to the first executable statement. None of them take any input except, I suppose the source file in Plato. How do I run or step through the program and get information about the variables? If I click run in the Build tool, a windows comes up saying "Waiting" "The application being debugged is running. Control will return to the debugger when either a breakpoint or error occurs." There is a button marked "pause". Meanwhile, the program is waiting for input from me. I enter it and the whole program runs without stopping for any debugging. Question Question

The FTN95.cfg file I use is:

/COLOUR /DELETE_OBJ_ON_ERROR /DUMP /ERROR_NUMBERS /ERRORLOG
/LINK /LIST /MAP /MINIMISE_REBUILD /-NO_BANNER /NO_TRUNCATE
/NON_STANDARD /PERSIST /PROFILE /SINGLE_THREADED /STATISTICS
/UNDERFLOW /UNLIMITED_ERRORS /VS7 /WINDOWS /WRAP /XREF

I hope my inquiry is coherent.
Laughing Laughing
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverfrost has to make YouTube video about that. I think there was a movie before. If not then nowadays it is just a 10 min job. It is 100x easier to follow what you see then what you hear or read
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the WHOLE of the use of Plato needs a YT video not just the debugger.

Dan (the new one !), your answers might be here:-
http://www.silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/plato/debugging.aspx
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, something like this. Each small video has to be 15 to 30 seconds long maximum where couple simple and more complex cases have to be shown. In our advertisement times no one will look at longer video. Even in love humans get in just first 3 seconds, the rest is a waste of time Smile. So when preparing videos do not lose those first 3 seconds.

I am still not using Plato for example. The movie has to convince me that my way of using BAT files combined with file manager Total Commander and Notetab Pro editor is less convenient and less functional then using Plato.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan (kaliushkin)

You should see a toolbar with buttons to click for "Step into", "Step over", etc.
Also a menu bar with various menu options.
kaliuzhkin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Very Happy
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on your fresh impressions please tell the developers what confused you and how you'd like them to eliminate that. I see until recently almost no one used debugger. And judging by its absolutely the same terrible look and feel for decades ( despite it is the one of the most powerful debuggers) even probably the developers themselves too Smile
kaliuzhkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: sdbg Reply with quote

Getting started was the hardest part. I thoroughly reviewed all the information in FTN95 help but couldn't see how to 1. set up my code with debugging hooks at compilation time, and 2. run my program with debugging working. It was the Paul Laidler's post about the Build Toolbar that gave me the answers. I would say the Build Toolbar was the missing link.

Once that was done, FTN help showed me how to set up breakpoints (right-click on the code) and step through the program. I was able to run sdbg.exe well, also.

I've since successfully used it to debug two programs. Putting WRITE commands in the code isn't that inconvenient for the code I'm writing now but it must be a big deal on more major and developmental programs.

Again, thanks.
kaliuzhkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: sdbg Reply with quote

Getting started was the hardest part. I thoroughly reviewed all the information in FTN95 help but couldn't see how to 1. set up my code with debugging hooks at compilation time, and 2. run my program with debugging working. It was the Paul Laidler's post about the Build Toolbar that gave me the answers. I would say the Build Toolbar was the missing link.

Once that was done, FTN help showed me how to set up breakpoints (right-click on the code) and step through the program. I was able to run sdbg.exe well, also.

I've since successfully used it to debug two programs. Putting WRITE commands in the code isn't that inconvenient for the code I'm writing now but it must be a big deal on more major and developmental programs.

Again, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: