forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DPI awareness changes between v7.20 & v8.05

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: DPI awareness changes between v7.20 & v8.05 Reply with quote

I note in the revision history under v8.00 that:

ClearWin+ now makes use of the "DPI awareness" features first available with Windows 8.1. This means that, where possible, ClearWin+ will take advantage of the Windows API features designed to handle high DPI display settings which otherwise can lead to clipped text and blurry images.

Great - but.

I'm experimenting with an 8" tablet with 1280x800 screen. Under Windows 10, we no longer see 'Large fonts', but we do have a scaling factor, which on the tablet is 125% (preferred) and although 100% seems to be selectable, the setting doesn't seem to be persistent and resets itself when I run tablet things like the Start screen, so it's unavoidable.

If I run a FTN95/Clearwin+ executable with the salflibc.dll from v7.20, despite the setting, the fonts in a %gr area scale exactly as they do on my desktop and laptop, but if I use the salflibc.dll from v8.05 all the text grows (I'm guessing by 125%) and no longer fits.

At the risk of perhaps suggesting the answer myself, is this because I'm using SIZE_IN_POINTS@ rather than SIZE_IN_PIXELS@?

A similar effect is seen with things that rely on character cell size (e.g. %dy) - again I'm guessing at 125%, but there is no direct way to position things with %ap, %rp or %dy in pixels, and again, the answer seems to be to find out what the system font setting is and to work from that when using those three format codes. (Using, say: CALL get_system_font@)

Large fonts AKA High DPI setting (but not quite) are my particular hatred, and I thought I'd seen the last of them when I stopped using a particular old laptop where they were the default.

Eddie

PS under v7.20 salflibc.dll the fonts are neither clipped nor blurry!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered calling SetDpiAwareness@(0)?
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat. Missed that. ENH file?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: