forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining the crash stack for reporting purposes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Obtaining the crash stack for reporting purposes... Reply with quote

Hi,

we've got a user that is currently too busy to keep track of the error.txt files that he can create via the crash dump window when our application falls over. It would be handy if there was a command that could copy the stack to the clipboard so he could paste into an email.

Does such a function exist?

K
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask him to push printscreen button and make him the 20 lines Clearwin+ program to save this clipboard information to graphics PNG file. So one push and one click (or another keyboard combination) and you are done. You can add mouse ribbon bands to select part of graphics screen before saving but this is a bonus.

But as I remember crash report window has an option to save, no?

As to your way of finding errors: would appreciate if you post an example of such window, better on Postimage and explain exactly step by step how do you use this binary information from it to find and fix the error

The only way I can find any errors in large codes is by running the code via debugger.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Win32 you get a "Save as" button. Unfortunately you then get an "Open" button which should be a "Save as" button. I will see if this can be fixed.

The next release will provide something similar for 64 bit applications.

It all depends on how much the end user will tolerate. One might even work towards a facility to send a email (for example) automatically without the user doing anything. Don't ask me how to do this right now but no doubt it can be done.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

If the application is built in /debug (or /check or /checkmate) mode then the trace back should give the line numbers in the code.

Otherwise you must build with /explist. Then the address offset in the trace back can be found in the explist (.lis) file in order to arrive at the line number in the code. Just look for the name of the routine and then find the offsets at the end of each line of assembler code. Finally look for the line of Fortran code that appears before the line with the required offset.
KennyT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
It all depends on how much the end user will tolerate. One might even work towards a facility to send a email (for example) automatically without the user doing anything. Don't ask me how to do this right now but no doubt it can be done.

That's the sort of thing I was looking for, similar to the "Send Report" button that Firefox (and Windows?) provide in the event of a crash. We'd even be prepared to "cross your palms with silver" if it could be expedited.

i envisaged an extra button on the crash dump window, that could be "pre-set" with an email address to send the report to?

K
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I know one person who is very good bug sniffer and who is not using debugger or any debug options at all with his large code. Such people are often good chess players. After i with FTN95 found 300-400 KB errors/warnings in his code he finally made that code reliable and complaints-free. He uses different compiler and entropy of errors almost stopped the entire project which was slowly gathering tricky hidden bugs for 40 years.

Giving just the line number (and type of error) could be sometimes enough to me to explode my brain suspecting hell amount of possible reasons of what could be wrong.

Debugging options and debugger make code slower but much faster and more enjoyable at almost immediate finding errors.

Hopefully you guys at Silverfrost are not such bug sniffers (but something is telling me that you are - bad ugly shape of SDBG for 25 years for example) otherwise we will never see good finished 64bit debugger Smile
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

I am not sure how to respond to this. The current 64 bit debugger is a beta release and I am informed that the next release will progress significantly from this. Some time later I hope to be able to integrate it into Plato but then you probably don't use Plato.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: